Lost steering on 96 sl700

Hi, Today I took the PWC out and lucky me, I wasn't able to turn right. I tried to fix it in the water but was unable. I pulled the steering cable out and I now I am unable to out it back in. I was able to turn to the left but that was it. I have the selco manual but it is not helpful at all. I think that all I have to do is get the steering cable back in and then tighten it up. I am not sure. I can't find the owners manual. Why did this happen. The cable looks to be in good condition.

Is there any tricks to get the cable back in the blue hose?

Please if anyone has any advice i WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

tHANKS

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a broken cable ,cant fix cables
    you need to replace that cable or use your legs to turn i did that for 2 years -no cable ,just ran it point and shoot style
    mattman

How do I tell if the cable is broken. It looks good. Is there a place where the cable gets secured onto the jet pump. Like it gets screwed on or something? Where can I find a cable if it is bad. I checked alljet.com and they had a cable kit for $250.

+1
    i only say its broken cause ,when the cable breaks inside the casing it will still turn left but not right..
    post a Want To Buy or look for zingler--member with parts
    mattman

Hey I just realized that your from the keys. I just moved here from NY. I now live in tavernier. What part do you live in?
    I have been looking for a job but as you know everything is slow now. Anyway, do you think that I can put the cable back together. i don't need the whole assembly; just the cable? ANy place local I can get it?

So is that it I need to get a new steering cable????

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I have a cable from a 95 sl650 that should work for ya. It has a different original part# than the sl7hundy, but the substituted new replacements have the same #. PM me if I can help.

my sl 700 steering cable broke 2 weeks age, I bought steering cable from ebay 45.00 and from a 95 sl 750 works just fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    Hey I just realized that your from the keys. I just moved here from NY. I now live in tavernier. What part do you live in?
    I have been looking for a job but as you know everything is slow now. Anyway, do you think that I can put the cable back together. i don't need the whole assembly; just the cable? ANy place local I can get it?
    http://www.keysnet.com/154/index.html
    lol,,dont say you know me--I JUST QUIT THERE hahhahah
    Caloosa Tackle Shop MM 73.5 looking for hard working responsible person to help manage the PM shift, F/T w/benefits. Also looking for hard working responsible sales clerk, P/T. Apply by appt only Mon, Tues, & Wed. 9am to noon. Ask for Greg 664-8057

+1
    Check the pump area, the steering cable connects to the steering nozzle. Did the bolt come off back there? That is a beefy cable to just snap. I know it happens, but look at the whole path before you go that direction

Thread Information