Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

How to flush after salt water...?

I always ride in salt water. What guideline should I follow when its time to flush?

Should I turn on the ski first, then the water...? How long do I do it for...? Should I accelerate the ski a bit or no...?

Another thing I tried searching in the how-to section is how to change the oil....Anyone care to explain a bit on this...? Or link me.

+1
    I would Refer to your users manual for the proper flushing procedure.

If you are riding in saltwater, this product (saltaway) is good for reducing the salt buildup in the system.

Also, here is some good information.

Saltaway for marine applications
    http://www.saltawayproducts.com/EngineFlushPage.htm

Saltaway flushing procedure
    http://www.saltawayproducts.com/InboardFlushingPage.htm

Go by what the manual says.

When your done riding rinse the ski off. Flush it, rinse the engine off with light low flowing water just to get the spots of salt that you see. And then lube it all real good.

Don't worry so much about riding in salt water it not that big of a deal just as long as you rinse the salt away. It prolonged salt exposure that if you don't deal with starts to build up and causing problems.

Although if you ride every day and ride hard and your machine gets drenched it kinda flushes itself out but that with salt water. So at some point when you stop you gotta get fresh water to remove the salt.

I don't know if that made since. There is a local rental place here and the guy sells his fleet every year. In the peak season since they are used so much he harldy does any maintenance to them. Doesn't even flush them. Doesn't change the oil nothing. He just decided its better to just replace the whole ski after a season. I guess it works for him.

Oh and this would be on yamahas. Hes tried the others and found the yamahas to be the best.

+1
    Start the motor..... turn the water on..... flush.... turn the water off.... rev the motor, turn your motor off.

I found out the hard way.... didn't know a damn thing about 2 strokes, let the water run and back up into the motor. I knew I had done something wrong when it wouldn't start, so I got on Google... found my way to the Riva forum..... few years later, Greenhulk is born..... and the rest is history.

+1
    Thanks for the info....but, how long do I leave the water running?

+1
    It doesn't take but 3-5 minutes tops.

It does not take but a minute to fill you cooling jackets and have the excess come out of the back of the boat and out of the pissers. Just turn that water volume over 2-3 times and then shut the water off. Rev the engine up (without getting stupid with it) to blow out the excess water and you are done with the internals.

Some guys seem to be concerned about breaking reeds if you over rev the engine in this way. It may be an issue with aftermarket reeds. I really do not know for sure.... I just don't rev it that hard.

+1

Red face

I flush mine 3-5 min. mid flush I shut water off and real quick pour some soap in hose and turn back on (would not take longer than 20 sec.) after water flush and if not going to ride till next week blow thru flush fitting with compress air

later cd

+1
    Ok so Im doing it alright!

Now...anyone on the oil change question?

+1

Oil change?

Are you thinking there is oil to "change", like in your S/D, or are you wanting to go from 1 brand 2-stroke oil to the other?
    If you have not yet, read the owners manual for the ski. I think this would clear up most of your questions.
    From everything I have have ever heard or read, you do NOT want to mix oil brands, you want to get as much of 1 out before you add the other. If you are wanting to switch oil brands, the only "easy" way I know to do it is to run the ski until your low level oil warning indicator comes on, and then ride a little more. The owners manual, or someone on the board that knows better, may be able to tell you approximately how much run time you have on the buzzer. Once you think most of the oils is gone, you can add the different brand.
    Good luck, Kirk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350
    Are you thinking there is oil to "change", like in your S/D, or are you wanting to go from 1 brand 2-stroke oil to the other?
    If you have not yet, read the owners manual for the ski. I think this would clear up most of your questions.
    From everything I have have ever heard or read, you do NOT want to mix oil brands, you want to get as much of 1 out before you add the other. If you are wanting to switch oil brands, the only "easy" way I know to do it is to run the ski until your low level oil warning indicator comes on, and then ride a little more. The owners manual, or someone on the board that knows better, may be able to tell you approximately how much run time you have on the buzzer. Once you think most of the oils is gone, you can add the different brand.
    Good luck, Kirk
    Actually that was another question I had. But Im talking about the engine oil, not the one that mixes with the fuel...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information