Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Do the SC'ed Yamahas have SC failures?

First of all, I'm not bashing just asking...

We all know of the infamous SeaDoo supercharger failures that have occurred over the years. I am wondering if the new supercharged Yamaha skis have had any problems with their superchargers so far?

I'm assuming since its a different design, there wouldn't be ceramic washers to fail, but are there other parts that have along the way? I noticed a heavy duty supercharger shaft was released recently. Is that to solve an issue that these superchargers have had?

Do you typically rebuild them every 100 hours and do they typically make it that long without a failure?

+1
    I haven't seen anyone report a clutch failure lately...most people now use BOV's to prevent it. The broken SC shafts are mainly from people not using the correct tools or trying to turn the left hand threaded lock nut the wrong way.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87465

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I haven't seen anyone report a clutch failure lately...most people now use BOV's to prevent it. The broken SC shafts are mainly from people not using the correct tools or trying to turn the left hand threaded lock nut the wrong way.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87465

Whats does BOV mean??

+1
    Blow Off Valve

+1
    No SC failures. As MJ said, some have broken/stripped the shaft when changing out SC wheels (either turning the wrong way or over tightening... in inch pounds) but no straight SC failures and no need to rebuild every whatever hours. I also haven't heard of any SC clutch failures (yet) from anyone using a quality BOV like the HKS BOV.

Hope this info helps.

+1
    So let me get this straight...
    if you don't add a BOV you will get a SC failure...?

Ok another question... not bashing... IF a failure does occur while the machine is being used does it grenade the motor like the Doos? Does a whole bunch of debris need to be cleaned out, motor stripped down, etc.?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    So let me get this straight...
    if you don't add a BOV you will get a SC failure...?
    NO. Let me straighten you.

If you ride your ski stock, it will probably never fail. But as soon as you increase boost (in other words mod your ski) be ready to add supporting mods like a BOV. Just like anything else you mod. The more power you add, the more stress it puts on other parts and sooner or later you find out what the weak link/parts are. In our case the SC clutch is a weak link. Like in LS motor cars. Pistons and rods are a weak link. The crank is good for a lot more power than the pistons and rods can take.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Ok another question... not bashing... IF a failure does occur while the machine is being used does it grenade the motor like the Doos? Does a whole bunch of debris need to be cleaned out, motor stripped down, etc.?
    No. The clutch is a one way sprag style clutch. It allows the SC wheel to only spin in one direction, and locks up if you try to spin it the other direction. If it fails, you just won't build hardly any boost. You'll instantly tell something is wrong as a result of the power loss. Take your intake off (about 5 minutes) and see if you can spin the SC wheel both ways. If you can, you need a new clutch.

The shaft has only broke during the installation of a SC wheel. So far no failures during operation. If it did, it could quite possibly cause engine damage, but I have yet to hear of a single case.

+1
    YoYamma: Is that a real fish or one of those that moves when you make a noise? I only ask because it looks like one I saw at a carnival.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information