Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    rangermtb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    4,473
    +1
    58

    What to do about 2004 RXP valves

    Guys,

    I'm starting to get nervous, reading all these threads about valve problems in '04-'05 RXPs. I've got an '04 RXP engine in my conversion and I trying to figure out what to do. I knew about the valve problem when I got into this and I planned to take care of it, so I'm trying to figure out my options.

    Should I:

    -Replace the valves with later year, stock valves and do the riva valvetrain?
    -Replace the valves with ferrera valves and do the riva valvetrain?
    -Replace the entire head with a later year head? (not even sure if this is possible)

    What do you guys think of the above ideas? Any other ideas? I'd like to start planning this out so I can save up some cash.


  2. #2
    cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    north jersey
    Posts
    6,188
    +1
    176
    i'm curious as well. i have an 05 motor with over 100 hrs in my ski and the valvetrain is definately on my winter to do list.

  3. #3
    richrxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    949
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    Guys,

    I'm starting to get nervous, reading all these threads about valve problems in '04-'05 RXPs. I've got an '04 RXP engine in my conversion and I trying to figure out what to do. I knew about the valve problem when I got into this and I planned to take care of it, so I'm trying to figure out my options.

    Should I:

    -Replace the valves with later year, stock valves and do the riva valvetrain?
    -Replace the valves with ferrera valves and do the riva valvetrain?
    -Replace the entire head with a later year head? (not even sure if this is possible)

    What do you guys think of the above ideas? Any other ideas? I'd like to start planning this out so I can save up some cash.

    Did you test your compression on all 3 cilinders?

    My old 04 rxp has 240 hrs on it and never had valve problems.

    If compression is ok ,i wouldn't worry to much.

    How many hrs on your ski?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    237
    I would change the valves. I know from experience it does not matter if you have good compression or not. I lost a valve at 38 hours and it is a mess. Good Luck!

  5. #5
    rangermtb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    4,473
    +1
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    i'm curious as well. i have an 05 motor with over 100 hrs in my ski and the valvetrain is definately on my winter to do list.

    nice! looks like another evening in my garage! actually, more likely your garage this time

  6. #6
    rangermtb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    4,473
    +1
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by richrxp View Post
    Did you test your compression on all 3 cilinders?

    My old 04 rxp has 240 hrs on it and never had valve problems.

    If compression is ok ,i wouldn't worry to much.

    How many hrs on your ski?

    i've never done a compression test, i have just over 100 hours.

  7. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    I did a swap on my 04 @ 150 hours...Even though I run the stock ECU, this is a good time to beef it up...Here is what I did, and HIGHLY recommend it...


    - Ferrea Valves (lap them during install)
    - Les Cooke Titanium retainers
    - 06 Springs (slightly used)
    - New valve stem seats (all 12, # 420630200 )
    - Oil Jet for 03-5 engines (in the store)
    - ARP studs for head (in the store)
    - ARP bolts for rocker (SHOULD BE in the store, but should be)
    - New head gasket

    When you install the valves, lap them. Simple thing using a suction cup and grinding paste. This creates a better seal surface for the valve. Do this with the old stems in (for guidance), make sure to make wrtire the location of the valve (1, 2, 3, etc) for when you return them back in.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    237
    How much did this all cost?



    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I did a swap on my 04 @ 150 hours...Even though I run the stock ECU, this is a good time to beef it up...Here is what I did, and HIGHLY recommend it...


    - Ferrea Valves (lap them during install)
    - Les Cooke Titanium retainers
    - 06 Springs (slightly used)
    - New valve stem seats (all 12, # 420630200 )
    - Oil Jet for 03-5 engines (in the store)
    - ARP studs for head (in the store)
    - ARP bolts for rocker (SHOULD BE in the store, but should be)
    - New head gasket

    When you install the valves, lap them. Simple thing using a suction cup and grinding paste. This creates a better seal surface for the valve. Do this with the old stems in (for guidance), make sure to make wrtire the location of the valve (1, 2, 3, etc) for when you return them back in.

  9. #9
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw80 View Post
    How much did this all cost?
    I forgot, got all the parts over the winter, did the work with a friend in the spring...But all the parts I got from either the store or through the classifieds...

  10. #10
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 10:03 PM
  3. What to do about low compression
    By johnsonmtz in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
  4. What to do about the hole I made from the BOV
    By MyGreenGumby in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 07:41 AM
  5. What to do about a blown Turbo in MSX150?
    By Dare in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •