Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Tender on a RXP?

Hey GH posters, I have a 06 & 07 RXP. I want to use a "battery tender" charger/maintainer on my batteries over the winter.

Should I disconnect the batteries from the ski or just leave them connected?

Thanks!

+1
    some say to, some don't. i personally leave the battery connected

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I say disconnect

there's a whole lot of expensive electronics getting power when then battery is conected, so you certainly don't want a powerline glitch casuing problems.

on the other side....

there have been some folks who claim that bouncing the battery connection can cause the ecu to glitch

I'll take my chances with the ecu gitch and disconnect the battery at end of season. ODdessy batteries have to have this done since the low draw of the seado ecu wil kill it dead over the winter ( and no warranty for that matey!)

Take the battery out of the ski. Trust me

Humm I let mine sit all last winter with nothing on it.. Started right up like it had just been used when I brought it out in the summer.

That's even with the fogging oil burnoff and the fuel stabilizer in tank..

:whoknows:

I pull mine just so they don't freeze.

+1
    down here, never remove it,put in on charge once a week(overnight)....almost 2 years on oem batt all good......you're results may vary!!

+1
    I pull the batteries out of ours during the winter. I have a single "tender" type charger. I'll alternate charging the two batteries every couple of weeks.

I've always heard not to charge or jump a battery while connected as it may damage the electronics. I figure no reason to chance it.

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    there's a whole lot of expensive electronics getting power when then battery is conected, so you certainly don't want a powerline glitch casuing problems.

on the other side....

there have been some folks who claim that bouncing the battery connection can cause the ecu to glitch

I'll take my chances with the ecu gitch and disconnect the battery at end of season. ODdessy batteries have to have this done since the low draw of the seado ecu wil kill it dead over the winter ( and no warranty for that matey!)
    I would agree, except for one thing - NOTHING in the ski actually GETS power unless the DESS is connected. You can charge any battery in any vehicle while the battery is still connected to the battery.

The reason the warnings are there to remove the battery is based upon the possibly of spark if you don't have a good connection with the terminals and if the battery OVER charges and possibly discharge some of the acid through the overfill or one of the caps. Also, they have had incidences where people took the charger, hooked it up, and then put the charger in the 'hold' space next to the battery and then closed the lid - yes, I know, total moron....but these are probably the same people that put their generators in the closet in their homes after a hurricane and then can't understand how they burned the house down. And lastly, the temptation for some people to 'try and start it' while the charger is hooked up is just TOO great - and THIS is what fries the electronics. They treat the charger like a jump starter and you can only do that if your charger has that option.

Otherwise, it is perfectly safe to charge or trickle charge the battery while it is still in the ski.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderSmalley View Post
    I would agree, except for one thing - NOTHING in the ski actually GETS power unless the DESS is connected. You can charge any battery in any vehicle while the battery is still connected to the battery.

Otherwise, it is perfectly safe to charge or trickle charge the battery while it is still in the ski.
    While you make some good points on this issue, I suggest you have a look at a seadoo wiring diagram.

Just as an example, a 2002 GTI manual shows the hot lead of the battery connected to connector 1 pin 26 of the MPEM. It's not going directly to the magnetic switch on the mpem as far as I can see. Somebody with more detailed knowledge of the internals on the MPEM is free to tell me I'm wrong.

The oddessy battery manuals states that the sd "computer" draw will flatten the battery if it is not disconnected and the warranty is voided under that particular circumstance. I've yet to measure the draw on a modern seadoo electrical system, but to flatten a battery it's got to be at least a watt or two

You might also want to check what the unloaded voltage is of your charger. I've seen a few ( and on a high priced charged to boot) that came in over 17 volts

I'm not looking to engage in a huge debate on this issue as people are free to follow or ignore both good practices and common sense.

People still blow themselves up using cigarette lighters to check fuel tanks and filling portable gas cans while not on the ground. The number of people I see smoking around gas pumps is insanely high around here. People don't think much as rules aren't meant for them...we had a fellow leave his truck at the pump on labor day to go in to buy something at the store, and the truck had a huge leak in the filler hose..gas was spilling all over the ground and people started screaming. The store manager had to hit the master disconnect as the gas was running down the island. Had somebody in the area been smoking, it would have made the news for sure.

In automotive circles it's well know that fast charging a battery with it still connected to the system can damage alternator diodes. So it's common practice for experienced mechanics to disconnect the battery, or be put on the hook for a new alternator.

While I don't have internal wiring diagrams of the seadoo mpem, the price of that bit alone is enough for me not to take any chances for 10 seconds with a 10mm wrench.

My point here -"better safe then sorry"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information