Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to buy another Sea Doo, what is a good hull for rough water?

Hey guys, I ride on lake huron mostly, and its only smooth every so often. I have a 96 GSX which I love, however I can't go very fast when it is choppy. I have a friend with a 2000 GTI, 85 hp, and he is significantly faster than I am in rough water. When it is smooth he is a few mph slower. Is there a 2 seater out there that is as fun to ride as my GSX, fast, and good in rougher water? I'm restricting myself to a $3000 - $3500 budget. Thanks!

+1
    As far as big deuces you have the RX and the RXP (XPLs are barely any bigger than that GS hull).

The RX is not much better than the XPL and in some ways it is worse in rough water (that shock seat is nice).

RXPs are better than an RX, but I have heard that they can be lively in the chop and you would pay more for a running RXP than anything else you might buy.

IMO, the best compromise between ride, rough water capability, and fun, would be the '99-'01 GTXL and the '02 GTX ('98 was the same hull/engine but the ignition system is not as good). You have a three seater, yes, and it is roughly the same size as your buddy's GTI but with a lot more giddy-up in it. They are good in rough water and are still fast on smooth (a good one should run with your GSX and with flame arrestors and jets, probably outrun it).

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    As far as big deuces you have the RX and the RXP (XPLs are barely any bigger than that GS hull).

The RX is not much better than the XPL and in some ways it is worse in rough water (that shock seat is nice).

RXPs are better than an RX, but I have heard that they can be lively in the chop and you would pay more for a running RXP than anything else you might buy.

IMO, the best compromise between ride, rough water capability, and fun, would be the '99-'01 GTXL and the '02 GTX ('98 was the same hull/engine but the ignition system is not as good). You have a three seater, yes, and it is roughly the same size as your buddy's GTI but with a lot more giddy-up in it. They are good in rough water and are still fast on smooth (a good one should run with your GSX and with flame arrestors and jets, probably outrun it).
    So I pretty much have to go with a bigger one... What is the difference between a GTX and a GTXL? Would another manufacturer like Yamaha or Kawasaki be a good choice?

+1
    It depends on the year.

In '96 the Gen II GT hull was introduced with a 787 engine and it was a much improved product over the Gen I GTX both cosmetically and functionally. In both '96 and '97 they were called GTX and had the 787 engine.

In '98 the 947 engine was introduced into the hull and it became a GTX-Limited (thus the "L"). At that point you had other GT hull boats (GTS, GTI, ect) that were either a Gen I or a Gen II GT hull depending on the year, model, and engine.

There were also other GTXs as the GTX-RFI was introduced in '98 as well. The '98 and '99 947 powered GTXs were limiteds (so I kind of told you wrong in that first post).

In '00 the carbed 947 powered model was just a GTX (the GTX-DI was introduced that year and the GTX-RFI was also still being made). From '00 through '02 the GTX is a 947 (carbed) powered Gen II GT hull.

'02 was the last year for that hull and it only came in the GTX-RFI and the GTX. The GTX-DI that year was a Gen III GT hull (the 4-tec platform). The GTX 4-tec was also introduced in '02.

The Gen III hull is an option but it is huge and to me, does not have near the "Playfulness" of the smaller Gen II hull. They are either DIs (kind of weak for the size) or 4-tecs (non-SC=not much better than the DI, SC=will cost more but may be attainable).

Now, the '00 and '01 GTX-DIs are on that same Gen II hull and are a lot of fun and you have some advantages over a carbed 947 (easier cold weather ops, outstanding fuel economy) but they are also much more complex and can be very expensive to repair.

After '02 the GTX-DI is an underpowered monster that is fine for putting around or pulling tubes but that is about it.

+1
    + 1 on the 99-01 GTX L. Two up in the chop tough to beat. IMA.

Gen II gt series with a 787.not the rfi

I have both a 97 GSX and a 99 GTXL. The 97 GSX is clearly faster out of the hole and slightly faster on the top end on smooth water, but add anything larger than a slight chop and the GTXL is faster on top end. (Both top out around 57 GPS on smooth water.) In rough water, the GTXL is MUCH better riding; the GSX bounces all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I have both a 97 GSX and a 99 GTXL. The 97 GSX is clearly faster out of the hole and slightly faster on the top end on smooth water, but add anything larger than a slight chop and the GTXL is faster on top end. (Both top out around 57 GPS on smooth water.) In rough water, the GTXL is MUCH better riding; the GSX bounces all over.
    Sounds like I need to pick up a GTXL. In terms of performance and reliability, I assume sticking with Bombardier over Yamaha or Kawasaki is the right way to go?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/1382779827.html

Something like this? Or is the limited faster? Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/1382779827.html

Something like this? Or is the limited faster? Thanks!
    In 2000 they stopped calling them Limiteds, changed the hood a bit, and made them a little bit longer.

Other than that, same boat, same speeds depending on engine mods, if any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information