seem to have a charging problem 95 xp

so the last couple times i have used the machine it will run fine for a short time (about 2 mintues) and then it dies......it will refire once maybe twice and then the battery doesnt have enough juice to turn it over.......i dont know much about how the charging system on these works......i charged the battery after the first time it happened and it fired right up in the driveway but once i got to the lake the same thing happened......almost time to put them away here in michigan and i would like to get it fixed before then.....

andrew

Quick test: leave the black terminal on the battery a little loose, start the engine and then pull the terminal off the battery...

If it keeps running, push the terminal back on and shut off the engine.

Report back with results...

EDIT: BTW I got all the parts you need if it's a charging problem...

alright ill try that tomorrow......what would pulling the ground off determine........and keep in mind im really not familiar with 2 stroke changing systems..........

andrew

A voltmeter would be better, if you can get one...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96xp-ss View Post
    Quick test: leave the black terminal on the battery a little loose, start the engine and then pull the terminal off the battery...

If it keeps running, push the terminal back on and shut off the engine.

Report back with results...

EDIT: BTW I got all the parts you need if it's a charging problem...
    That would be a quick test since pulling the GROUND on anything would shut the system down.

The "Oldschool" (as in 60s and 70s car/truck) test was to pull the POSITIVE cable (traditionally red, as in the case of a most SDs). If the vehicle continued to run it indicated that the alternator/generator was working since the battery had been removed from the system.

Note: If you ever do decide to try this test (the pulling of the POSITIVE cable) under no circumstances should you ever try to put the cable back on while running. If the system was not bad before, it will be then.

Now, considering the nature of the system on a Sea Doo I would not reccomend trying this test. It may not work either way (more modern systems will die anyway since the alternator needs batt voltage to charge).

What you want to do is charge the battery (If the battery is hooked up in the ski or sitting on a bench never charge at more than a 2amp rate) a good 4 to 5 hours. Then take a volt meter and measure between the two terminals. You should have somewhere in the high 12s to mid 13 volt range.

Now, start the engine and measure the voltage. It should be higher but not too high (it should be in the 13.5-14 volt range).

Do that and let me know what it does.

For reference the way the system works is you have three charging coils that sit behind the front flywheel (this is the Magneto). The coils are energized creating an electro-magnetic field that magnets on the flywheel pass through creating A/C current. That current passes through a rectifier that converts it to D/C and also serves as a 12 volt regulator.

Most of the charging failures I have seen on those have been caused by faulty rectifiers. The rectifier is located in the gray box where the plug wires come from. They often show signs of failure (burned or melted spots under the sealing compound).

If it is not charging you will want to dig into that gray box and look at the rectifier. Also check the fuses while you are in there.

alright ill try all that......btw i have a dvom......i know plenty about motors just not 2 strokes........

+1
    The charging system is not really different from any other 12v system it is just a kind of spread out and not all that powerfull so it is sensitve to battery health.

They only put out like 4amps at 6000rpm so a weak battery can cause issues.

A couple of good rules.

Never jump start it. Sure, guys do it all the time but it only takes once to fry the ECM, the Rectifier, the Mag. If it will not start put a charge on it but do not jump it.

Never charge at more than 2amps. You can charge at this rate with cables connected and be safe. If the battery is out of the boat stay with the 2amps. I have seen them fried by a 6amp charge rate so just allow more time.

If you need a new battery try to get an AGM. They cost more but are more powerfull and last a lot longer. Advance and Autozone both sell a pretty good AGM type battery for SDs and they do not cost as much as the dealer. I have two from Advance, one is three and the other two years old. I have never had a wet cell battery last more than a year.

If you do go with a wet cell battery be sure to charge it (2amps, you know it) for at least 6 hours after filling it up before putting it in the boat. It will work much better, and longer, if you do so.

Thread Information