Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is power filter necessary?

I have a fzr that I was thinking of adding a power filter kit, manifold upgrade and later the ride plate and intake grate. If the rest of the ski is left stock, can I get by with just the manifold upgrade? I don't mind spending the money, I want to know if it is necessary with a stock engine to need the power filter.

Thanks

+1
    Your ski will benefit greatly from the after market air intake. The stock air box is extremely restrictive.

Check out the picture showing the size of the Riva Power Filter tube next to the stock air box opening. Between the stock flame arrestor ribbon and the stock airbox i can't believe the engine ran as well as it did. Both are huge restrictions.

+1
    Here's a radar acceleration graph of my ski showing stock, after adding the power filter and intake manifold upgrade and then again after adding the free flow exhaust.

As you can see every little mod helps

Ok, thats what I need to know. With average mechanical ability, how long would it take to install both? I'm trying to decide if I should do this now or wait until next year. There are just a few weekends left before I have it winterized.

Lou

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    With average mechanical ability, how long would it take to install both? Lou
    Intake is a breeze. I just had to drop the bolt that goes into the lord nut. Like SHOBiz told me, pack the bottom area with a bunch of towels so anything dropped can be retrieved easily. Seems like I always have to drop something.

Manifold upgrade (ribbon removal) is a beeatch for most. I read enough about how difficult it was that I had it done by someone else. The SC, IC and intake have to all be removed. I have a good friend that's a mechanic and he said it was around a 6/7 on a scale of 10. However, he's truly a pro. He also did my SC wheel swap for me too.

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    The Manifold upgrade (ribbon removal) is made much easier if you remove the whole Intake Manifold out of the engine compartment.

Disconnect the Fuel line, remove the rail from the injectors, remove the injectors, remove any and all harnesses that you can. You will have to cut some zip ties and some are re-usable. Once you have a clear path to removing the Manifold, it's not too bad. I disconnected the J tube at the bottom of the IC and left the rest of the J tube attached to the manifold when I pulled it out. Getting it back in was somewhat of a pain to get it to line up, but take your time and it fits.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    The Manifold upgrade (ribbon removal) is made much easier if you remove the whole Intake Manifold out of the engine compartment.

Disconnect the Fuel line, remove the rail from the injectors, remove the injectors, remove any and all harnesses that you can. You will have to cut some zip ties and some are re-usable. Once you have a clear path to removing the Manifold, it's not too bad. I disconnected the J tube at the bottom of the IC and left the rest of the J tube attached to the manifold when I pulled it out. Getting it back in was somewhat of a pain to get it to line up, but take your time and it fits.

+1

This is the way i did mine.

+1
    +2
    It's actually not possible to remove the throttle body without loosening the manifold...the TB will hit the case before coming off unless you partially remove the manifold bolts so it can be tilted upwards. It definately makes the job much easier to just take the whole thing off & set it on the workbench.

The Riva intake & manifold upgrade were the best bang for the buck mods I've done.

Thanks to everyone for replying. Heres the problem. Whether I do this now or next spring, I can put the parts on. Since I already have the manifold off, is there anything else I should do? When I pulled the supercharger off my RXP this spring I resisted adding performance parts(I didn't know I was getting a FZR). At this time my RXP and FZR are identical in speed for smooth water but it is much easier riding the FZR. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Lou

I'm in the middle of performing the intake manifold upgrade on a FZS. I got as far as removing the throttle body before it started raining. I've got the ski on a PWC lift rotated onto the dock. I didn't remove the intake manifold, but did disconnect the wiring harness.

Good advice on packing the bottom with towels to catch anything dropped. It's easy to do considering the limited accessibility. I will do that in the future.

I've already dropped a bolt, nut, and washer to the bottom of the ski and am unable to reach them - not even sure where they are. Any advice on how to retrieve them?

I was thinking I would lower the ski back on to the water. Then tie a rope from the bow eyelet to the lift and then raise the lift so the ski would be at an angle and the parts would slide to the back. If there is an easier way, please let me know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information