To winterize or not to winterize

Hi guys, when it comes to winterization is there a certain temperature in which it is not required? My brother seems to think if I keep my xl1200 ltd in the garage there will be no issues. I understand in warmer states such as Florida, winterizing is not common. So at what temperture does my garage have to be around constantly and does anyone recommend againts this? Thanks!!!!

+1
    Is your garage heated? New Jersey gets cold in the winter and I strongly recommend winterizing the ski. My ski is kept in a garage that stays about 50 degrees all winter so I dont put anti freeze in the ski but i do use Stabil for the fuel and fog the cylinders.

+1
    it would still need winterization, ( unless yoru winter or down time is perhaps only a few weeks at best) which is really not that big of a deal, see my post on how to do this in the yamaha- how to section, about 3/4 teh way down page.

fogging and fuel stabilizer is the minimum.. and its good general mainetance besides.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs101 View Post
    it would still need winterization, ( unless yoru winter or down time is perhaps only a few weeks at best) which is really not that big of a deal, see my post on how to do this in the yamaha- how to section, about 3/4 teh way down page.

fogging and fuel stabilizer is the minimum.. and its good general mainetance besides.

I am with you on that one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by antsws6ta View Post
    Hi guys, when it comes to winterization is there a certain temperature in which it is not required?

...So at what temperature does my garage have to be around constantly and does anyone recommend againts this? Thanks!!!!
    Winterization isn't just about freezing temperatures, it is also about storage duration.

Even if the air temperature around the ski never goes below the freeze temperature of water, the long time just sitting without being run on the water is the important factor.

Without winterization, you risk significant engine damage and downtime or repair hassles getting the ski ready for the water next season, even if freezing doesn't happen.

Fogging oil prevents engine internals from rusting, Sta-Bil prevents the gasoline from degrading, full tanks minimize water condensation in the fuel (and oil, if 2-stroke).

Cleaning, draining, and drying the hull minimizes mould and mildew. Ventilation under the seat helps keep it dry and smell free.

Removing the battery for storage in a dry and cool but not freezing location, and connecting it to a battery maintainer, maximizes the remaining battery life.

Draining the water out of the cooling system, or flushing non-toxic anti-freeze through (pink propylene glycol), protects against engine freeze damage.

It typically isn't that hard to do, and the cost of freeze damage repair is way more than the cost of anti-freeze (if you cannot simply drain the water out on your model).

Garage heating can fail, garage doors can be left open, etc. Freeze temperatures can happen.

Thanks guys!!! Looks like I will definitely winterize whether its in the garage or not!!

i live in northern ireland and it gets pretty cold here too how often would i need to use the ski over the winter to keep it safe? il be using it at least once a fortnight is that enough?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imperialgtr View Post
    i live in northern ireland and it gets pretty cold here too how often would i need to use the ski over the winter to keep it safe? il be using it at least once a fortnight is that enough?
    The point of winterizing the ski is so you dont have to worry about it while its in storage all winter

Thread Information