95XP Jet Question

I need to know what jet to use. I read on seadoosource web page the proper jets are 67.5 and 135. The jets that were in it were 67.5 and 132.5. I bought a set of replacement carbs that had 67.5 and 130 jets. Is guess what I am asking is should I use the 130 or the 132.5 or do I need to get 135 jets? How much difference will this make? I would like to put it back together today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarelli View Post
    I need to know what jet to use. I read on seadoosource web page the proper jets are 67.5 and 135. The jets that were in it were 67.5 and 132.5. I bought a set of replacement carbs that had 67.5 and 130 jets. Is guess what I am asking is should I use the 130 or the 132.5 or do I need to get 135 jets? How much difference will this make? I would like to put it back together today.
    I checked another place and they also say 135 on the mains for the 717 engine.

I would put the 135s in it.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    It all depends on the alittitude.carb's are calibrated from the factory for this for where ever the unit are sold.I personally would use the replacement carbs since you bought them for a reason because if untamperted with pop-off should be ok,...make sure you clean them if you havent already,and as for performance? you shouldnt notice.ride it a few minutes and take a plug reading to confirm this.

goodluck

I looked again and the jets that were in the original carbs are 137.5 not 132.5. I cant use the originals carbs due to corroded bolts. I was told that the replacement carbs I bought were off of a 95XP but they had the 130 jets, so I'm not sure where they came from. I am rebuilding the replacement carbs and noticed this when I had the jets out. Is there really much difference between 135 and 137.5. They were the last ones that were in this ski. This think also has aftermarket air cleaners.

+1
    Its all a tuning game...go ahead and put those 137's in there and try it,better than too much fuel than not enough.Ride it and check the plugs for color,good brown color on the electrode and wet on the outter rim/threads.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    go ahead and put the 137's in....your gonna bog all day long. follow Krunch's advise. There are different jets in there probably because the previous owner had flame arrestors on a mildly modded 717.

+1
    yea,follow Krunch's advice,i have no idea.............sorry

+1
    Those 137s should be for the open flame arrestors. The problem you will run into is that the popoff on those new carbs will be wrong since most guys run a 2.0 (I think, it has been a few since I messed with a non-stock 717) and a different spring and end up with a popoff in the mid-teens somewhere. PPG shows the pop at over 40 but that can not be right on a dual carb (single carbs will run that high, well, in the 30s at least). However, the Mikuni reference chart shows the 1.5 N/S with a 65g spring (the lowest) at 32psi so it may be in that area.

Those 130 mains are a bit odd and I wonder if those carbs are not off a 587 or 657. But, and hold the phone, I just looked at a '96 SPX which is essentially the same boat and it is listed as having 130 mains. I thought perhaps it had an accel pump but it does not show it in the parts diagram and besides, that changes your pilot more so than the main. Either way, they probably have the stock N/S which I think was a 1.3 (which is not even on the chart, go figure). (Go easy on me on these numbers as I am not lying about how long it has been since I went 951). Now, SD may have just been trying to lean it out to cut emissions OR, one of the two listings is wrong.

So, what did all the gobbledygook mean? Well, besides me trying to BS my way through diaphram carb theory it means that if you are going to run the open flame arrestors you will need the bigger (137) jets on the mains but now I wonder about your pilots since you probably need to go up on them too (probably, maybe, it depends). I do not remember what pilot I used to run on mine or I would break the law of internet tuning and just tell you.

Also, you will need to run a larger N/S. Not all engines need to drop popoff with open flame arrestors, but we found that 717s ran better. If it is too high you do not have enough signal (vacuum in the carbs) to "Pop" the N/S and you will starve for fuel off idle until you get up enough RPM (and thus signal since past a certain point, the thing is pretty much poped). With no accel pump you are depending on the flow through the pilot and the LS adjuster but they can not flow what is not there, thus the need for a lower pop-off.

If you have the stock air box then I would put the new carbs together as they are with the 135 mains and run in stock form. If you do not have the stock air box you will need to find out just what N/S, spring, and pilot you need (I would verify the 137 mains too, but that sounds about right) to run it properly with the aftermarket flame arrestors. Keep in mind, the guy who set it up for the flame arrestors may not have known what he was doing and I have seen guys who claimed you could adjust for them with the screws (which is not really true-they will run fast as hell, of course-until they die).

Thanks, I think I will try the 137.5 Jets. If they do not work out I will get some 135s. I do not have the stock air box. I guess I can find one if I need to.

It is back together and running. At low speed it is a little sluggish. Runs great at all other speeds. Quick from a stop. It will probably never really be going slow anyway. Thanks for all of the advise.

Thread Information