Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The age of the GPR's

I myself have just bought mine recently, but I've noticed a lot of them on sale, mostly replaced by FZ's and RXP's. If you open the classified section, many GPR's are for sale, and here in PR i know a substantial amount of people who have gone and sold theirs and moved on to newer skis. Is there going to be a time when the the famous racing hull will be gone completely and replaced by these new "boats"?

It just seems to me that the 2-stroke era is becoming a thing of the past as enthusiasts become more enticed by the 4-stroke engine.

+1
    I think GPR's will live on in the aftermarket much like the Yamaha Banshee. I don't think anyone will develop any new parts for them, but there will be a parts stock for years to come. I think Yamaha should still make the hulls available, but they won't.

+1
    GPRinPR,
    there are approx TEN YEARS worth of GPRs on the market. The fact that you see them being sold is actually totally opposite what you are thinking. It means they are worth buying and selling.

There will always be sales of the "latest and greatest."

+1
    I tell you, I keep considering another new ski but that may mean that I would have to sell one of my others and between the 3, I just don't think I could get rid of any. I hope I can afford to keep what I have and buy something else in 2010 or 2011.
    On the 2 GPRs, I have thought about everything from conversion to all out ported/stroked big bore. I've got 160 hours on the bottom end of my 1200 and 100 hours on the 1300. Which ever one needs a crank first will get porting and more goodies. Until then, I'm leaving well enough alone.
    Bottom line, I will always have at least 1 GPR in my garage and I bet that 2/3s of the owners out there feel the same. Good thing is that there are so many out there, people will always have a chance to get one. I am just blown away at how cheep they are selling for right now and I am curious to see how long this trend will remain.

I think they will be around alot longer than you think,what other ski has kept the same design for those 10 years?Sites like this will keep them going for sure!
    Just wondering,out of those 10 years and over 20 000 members on here,how many GPR'S in total are on here?lets start counting..

Banned User
    Two strokes will endure because the average person can't justify $12k on a water toy that is both complex and maintenance intensive (i.e. newer supercharged skis) . Most people just buy a boat with that kind of investment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    Two strokes will endure because the avergae person can't justify $12k on a water toy that is both complex and maintenance intensive (i.e. newer supercharged skis) . Most people just buy a boat with that kind of investment.
    And some people buy $12k ski and pull the motors out and put them in their GPR! Lee

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    And some people buy $12k ski and pull the motors out and put them in their GPR! Lee

+1
    I will always have a GPR in my stable just too good of a ski. One day it will be remembered as a classic muscle craft

I say it because I don't know how dedicated you guys are to make your skis go the extra mile(or 20 ) but with these new engines, many just want to buy a new PWC that already goes 69 bonestock and buy the new parts for it.

I'm guessing that in the future GPR aftermarket parts won't be so easy to find. I'm trying to buy what I can while they are easy to find

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information