+1

Stator burn. Is that razor burn?

Here's a picture of the stator that got burned up on the way home from pontiac lake after the ski ran fine all day.. I think something moved or bounced around in the ski and caught the stator wires on fire while it was on the trailer riding home. I did have to shake the wires to make it start while I was at the lake. Thought something wasn't quite right.. This was before any overheating problems. That was 2 weeks later! (my fault) lol.
    Can ya tell from just looking at it what happened or was this the place where the burning finally stopped? There was 1 wire that totally burned the entire length of the wire all the way back to the stator from the CDI box. The others were burned by just being next to the 1 that shorted.
    This is more of a learning diagnosing thing for fun. After the fact.
    I see it burned in 1 spot for sure.
    Seeing this may help 1 of you all out there. Just wanted to share this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stator 1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	151009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staor 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	151010  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It's usually the ground wire that burns all the way up to the stator.

Where did you see the verified burn location? That may be a clue as to why it shorted.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLOSE UP VIEW OF BURNED STATOR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	151029 Here's a lil closer view for ya .

And that is a real bummer

+1
    Yeah considering to get to that part, the motor has to come out to fix it.errrrrrrr Not to mention re-wiring like 20 wires back together.lol
    A good tip----- When using a puller to get the flywheel off, put it on the flywheel and crank her down hard. It will only go so far... Then get a propane torch and heat it in the center and you'll hear it pop!. Watch out though, the burning hot flywheel will JUMP off the crankshaft.
    Don't heat it too much or else the magnets can get detached. Then ya got another item to buy on ebay!
    Yes, A 94 sl motor works with a 95 slt cdi stator and cdi box!

+1
    I thought you found a tell tale burn mark in the harness somewhere, not necessarily on the stator itself. Bummer.

You can replace a stator in the hull. Not the most fun way to do it, but will save lots of time. I did it in about 1 1/2 hrs on the beach at the get together, on a 90* day and hung over. Lots of witnesses.

In your flywheel removal description, it sounds like you crank the puller down tight to the flywheel. I want to let everyone know that you DO NOT crank the removal tool bolts all the way down. You WILL damage the stator behind it. He means the main puller bolt.

+1
    That is correct!. good catch. I only tightened the 3 bolts into the flywheel just into the threads. No further. The main center bolt was tight.
    1 other trick putting it on is to put an ice cube on the crankshaft and let it melt half way first/ then heat the center of the flywheel and it will go ALL the way down on the shaft the first time. It's really neat to see it slide on so easy. no hammering required! How in the world did you get that off at the gathering? If I didn't use heat, it would of never came off.

+1
    Mine have been on and off so many times now, and I only use blue loctite instead of red.

I torque the puller down good and tight, then smack the puller bolt with a hammer. It usually pops that bad boy right off.

Take out the gas tank and work through the hood. That's how I do/did it.

There's pics of me doing it in the Polaris gathering thread.

RizzO
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I thought you found a tell tale burn mark in the harness somewhere, not necessarily on the stator itself. Bummer.

You can replace a stator in the hull. Not the most fun way to do it, but will save lots of time. I did it in about 1 1/2 hrs on the beach at the get together, on a 90* day and hung over. Lots of witnesses.

In your flywheel removal description, it sounds like you crank the puller down tight to the flywheel. I want to let everyone know that you DO NOT crank the removal tool bolts all the way down. You WILL damage the stator behind it. He means the main puller bolt.
    "You can replace a stator in the hull. Not the most fun way to do it, but will save lots of time. I did it in about 1 1/2 hrs on the beach at the get together, on a 90* day and hung over. Lots of witnesses. "

This is very true!! I witnessed it and many other things. Not to mention the SHARP and DEADLY ROCKS on the shore line that we were tripping over and cutting our feet on.........There was NO sand anywhere, I do have gouges on my hulls to remind me, but I would do it again in A minute. Hopefully next years get togeather we can find a place with sandy bottom, more foregiving anyway.

RiZ

Thread Information