701 Waveraider not running right.... HELP

I have a 1995 Raider 701. The ski has a FACTORY PIPE, MSD, SOLAS, BOYESEN REEDS, RIVA Filters. I had it in storage for over 3 years and pulled it out to try and get it running. I drained the fuel tank and refilled it with fresh fuel. I also replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs. I checked the compression and it has 150 psi in the front cylinder and 140 psi in the rear. I can't get the ski to run consistently. I already rebuilt the carbs except I didn't replace the needle and seat. The engine fires but will not stay on. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? I was planning on chaging the needle and seat but I pulled them out and they look pretty good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could I possibly have an ignition/CDI issue???

The engine fires but only stays on a second or 2..... even giving it some gas doesn't help...

so it fires???? you mean it starts and runs a bit or only while cranking it fires??

try splashing some fuel down the carb throats and see if it fires up on that,,

post back

Hello,

I've tried that... pretty much does the same thing.... it fires while starting but turns off right away... if I hold the throttle open a little while starting it it will start and accelerate a little and then die. It's very frustrating.....

ok so it only runs when you are pressing the start button, but dies when you let off the button??

Also, was it running right when it went into storage; did you winterize it for storage (what did you do prior to storage); and was it in completely dry, temperature controlled storage or could there be moisture (or even flat out water) that collected anywhere?

i'm not sure if understand... yes it runs while i'm starting it but turns of quickly... it does run when I release the start button but only for a second.. what do you think?

Thread Information