97 GP1200 Factory Pipe triple overheating

So here's the deal. I have a '97 GP1200 with Factory Pipe triple pipes, Riva stage II. So I had to change a stator and flywheel because the RAD flywheel I had grenaded. I think it was already shot when I bought it, because the battery would die after a couple of weeks of sitting. I put in a new stock flywheel and a new condition/used stator and now it will hold a charge indefinately, and no ark when I tough the positive cable to the battery. Seems to me the old flywheel was bound on the stator causing a short, or drain on the battery.

So I finally get it all back together this morning and get it running right and head for the lake to test ride. It is running great, so I let it warm up good and then open it up WOT and am bombing down the lake when it shut down. I coasted to a stop and it started back up, it was running a bit rough, like it was starved for fuel but it picked back up and ran fine again. So after a bit, I open it up again and it dies again. I notice steam or smoke out of the pipe pissers. The pissers seemed like it was awful warm to hot water, but I've never ridden on a cold day so I figured maybe it seems warmer than usual because it's colder out today. Now it won't turn over. Gauges still work fine, but starter button does nothing. I drift down the lake in the wind for about 20 minutes - I have the lake all to myself - great for test riding, not great for help when you're dead on the water! I try it again and the starter turns over one turn, so ok, I'm getting somewhere. I let it sit another 10-15 minutes and it turns over and fires, I limp it over to a dock and shut it off and let it sit another 10 to 15 with the seat off. The head feels pretty warm/hot, but then I've never felt what it feels like after riding - never needed to before.

So after the 10-15 minutes I start it up and ride it back half throttle to the ramp and the last 1/4 mile or so open it up WOT and it screams right up to 78 on the dreamometer, so all seems well. Compression checks fine, all three carbs and shooting fuel, so everything else seems fine.

What it acted like was the engine overheated, locking the pistons in the overheated cylinders so the starter would not turn over. Once it cooled down some, it loosened up a bit and when let cool longer, it turned over just fine and started right up.

SO - I must have a cooling issue somewhere. I am pretty sure all the triple pipe hoses are hooked up correctly, I never did anything with the engine/head cooling lines. Where does cooling water enter the engine? I need to blow all the lines clear and figure out if I have a blockage or something, but I have no idea how the cooling system works on these things.

Or, any other ideas????

Thanks - Steve

On second look at it my memory is refreshed, the cooling water enters the head next to each exhaust port, fed by three hoses off the triple pipe water distribution manifold, or whatever they call it. I'm pretty sure I could feel water coming out of both pisser off the top of the head, but they are below the rub rail so I can't see them at speed, but I'm almost certain they were both pissing water - very warm water, but still pissing nonetheless.

So, I'm looking for other ideas. It sure acted like overheating to me. I'm going to blow all the lines to make sure there are no obstructions just to be safe.

Thanks for any ideas.

So here's what I found so far.

This is the particle screen inside the triple pipe water distribution manifold

I've noticed the lakes around here are full of grass and stuff in the water, looks like it's clogged a few things!

This is the manifold, pretty crusty inside.

Here is the difference, scrubbed it with soft scrub and a toothbrush.

I'll get it all put back together tomorrow afternoon and see if that has solved it. I would bet there was enough blockage that under light/half throttle or so, the water flow was enough for somewhat adequate cooling, but under full throttle, just not enough to keep up with the added heat.

We'll see what happens. I figured it had to be something like this, it ran fine a couple of months ago when I parked it. I blew the rest of the lines out and they all seemed clear, so I'll report what happens tomorrow.

If there's any other ideas, let me hear 'em!

tie down back of ski to trailer then dump it into water and run it on trailer at ramp to check for leaks and for water coming out of pissers

+1
    You should look down the bores with a scope... I have seen many motors go through a mild seizure ( your symptoms) , cool down and run again seemingly fine. However the piston skirts are hammered yet the rings remain free. My 99 Gp stuck the rear cylinder twice and still ran good but the skirt was scary looking. Replaced piston to be safe. Jus my 2 cents...

Thanks Lakemotox, I will ride it again this afternoon or tomorrow, if it does it again it's coming apart this winter.

check the stingers and make sure none of them are clogged. If Riva set it up then your jets that are in the stingers could also be clogged

Hey Johnny, thanks for the info! I had to do a little research to find out what the stingers are, HAH!!! I'm such a newb.... But, I looked it up and from what I could remember when I had the pipes off, there are no inserts, at least I don't think so. I'll have it all apart this winter, so I'll remember or make a note to look for them.

Thanks!

if your riding area is that debris infested,you may want to install one of those large bowl 'jet boat' strainers in your intake line.. this is easlly inspected (clear) and cleaned (unscrewing the top or bottom ).. top window style is easyest to see in a ski ,if you have to mount it low in the hull..

Well thanks for all the responses gentlemen, she ran great today! I'm sure the clogged lines were the issue, I had much stronger streams out of the pissers. The other issue is the fuel I was using was too low octane. I saw a link to Factory Pipe installation on another thread that said not to use less than 94 octane, which we don't have pump gas here that high, 92 only, I've been using 87. So a bottle of octane booster went in the tank today, I'm sure I was having some detination which causes excessive heat and tears stuff up. I pulled the plugs before we went to check what the piston tops look like, they look fine. I can still read the Weisco part numbers on them. A little dirty from running the oil mix a little excessive at 40:1, but I feel better with it.

So thanks for the help! My wife rides an XL760, I also have one to match it. Hers is a little faster than mine, so she routinely leaves me in the dust. When I bring the red rocket out, however, she just doesn't stand a chance!! I love riding this thing, it'll be hard to part with next year - I might just have to keep it around awhile longer!

Steve

Thread Information