98 GSXL won't start...

Okay, I actually sold my GSXL last year and bought it back towards the beggining of this year. The guy had it for about 6 months but it doesn't look like he out much time on it. Maybe 15 hours or so. So it appears to me it sat for a good while. Well about two months ago I finally get a chance to mess with it. At first it would start, just turn over. So I figure it's the carbs being gunked up. A little starting fluid and it would finally start. So we took it out the next day for my brother-in-law to ride and all seemed fine, until he would try to open it up. It sounded like a fouled plug so we out new plugs in it and it is still dying whenever the throttle is opened up. It actually ran fine low-mid range. So the other day I finally get the carbs out and take them apart and clean them really well. Ends up the high speeds were about 1.5-2 turns out. The stock setting is 0. Well everything is back together and this thing just won't start! I have spun it over, choked it, sprayed it. All the normal stuff. It back-fired a couple times. Actually fired up a couple times running very rough but of course died.I'm not very experienced with carb'ed applications. I know it's a shot in the dark because of all the variables, but anyone have a clue?

+1
    Going to have to give ebveryone a little more info to start with.
    Have you done a compression check?
    Have you checked for a good spark for each cylinder
    Have you changed the plugs
    WHat do the plugs look like -clean-black-brown-tan ect
    Did you rebuild the fuel pump when you did the carbs
    Have you changed out all the grey fuel lines and cleaned-replaced the fuel filter-including the ones inside the carbs?
    If you have good comperession and good ignition it should fire right up on starting fluid-but be carefull as it doesnt lubricate and is hard on 2 stroke internals to do this much

PWC Newbie
    Did you bleed the fuel system after putting the carbs back? I didn't do that with my GSXL -98 and it was very hard to start. Remove the fuel return line (the one on top) and pressurize the tank through it to force fuel to fill up the carbs. Before that, connect a transparent hose to the return post on the carb and put the other end in a can. When there are no air coming out of the hose you're done. And it will fire right up!

Quote Originally Posted by lt1transam View Post
    Okay, I actually sold my GSXL last year and bought it back towards the beggining of this year. The guy had it for about 6 months but it doesn't look like he out much time on it. Maybe 15 hours or so. So it appears to me it sat for a good while. Well about two months ago I finally get a chance to mess with it. At first it would start, just turn over. So I figure it's the carbs being gunked up. A little starting fluid and it would finally start. So we took it out the next day for my brother-in-law to ride and all seemed fine, until he would try to open it up. It sounded like a fouled plug so we out new plugs in it and it is still dying whenever the throttle is opened up. It actually ran fine low-mid range. So the other day I finally get the carbs out and take them apart and clean them really well. Ends up the high speeds were about 1.5-2 turns out. The stock setting is 0. Well everything is back together and this thing just won't start! I have spun it over, choked it, sprayed it. All the normal stuff. It back-fired a couple times. Actually fired up a couple times running very rough but of course died.I'm not very experienced with carb'ed applications. I know it's a shot in the dark because of all the variables, but anyone have a clue?
    sure it wasn't the ls jet you set to 0 turns???

Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    sure it wasn't the ls jet you set to 0 turns???
    I was thinking the same thing !

Nah it was the high's. Turns out the new spark plugs were fouled. Checked for spark and they both were inconsistent. Put new ones in and it starts and idles great! Now the only problem is getting the coupler between the main pipe and stinger seated to where it won't leak.

Thread Information