Thread: Premix Question

Premix Question

Has anyone ,that is running premix, utilized the oil tank for extra fuel? 1.5 gallons extra there. If so, how did you plumb the two tanks? If not, are you removing the tank?
    Similarly, has anyone considered having a fuel container molded to fit in the front storage compartment of the GPR's? If so, how was it plumbed?

Steve

+1
    Hydrotoys has an 18 gallon modified tank for sale.
    http://www.hydrotoys.com/forsale.html
    scroll down to the yamaha parts

+1
    I did the Hydrotoys fuel tank mod its AWESOME

+1
    Steve,

Right now, my fuel knob on the side of the boat is bypassed and I have duel fuel lines running directly to my carbs.

I have thought that it would be a good idea to tie the existing hose at the bottom of the oil tank to the fuel selector knob. From there, I would run fuel line from the knob directly to the fuel return hose which comes from the carbs and returns to the fuel tank. I would have to splice a brass "T" on the fuel return line.

On the fuel selector knob, you have 1 inlet and 2 outlet nipples. You would have to plug one and use the other.

As of right now, I have the "T" in place, but as of yet have not hooked it up. I am trying to figure if there is a down side.

It ought to work. Anytime you need extra fuel, you just turn the knob and the gas ought to just pressure itself into the fuel return line and into the fuel tank.

What do you think?

+1
    It is amazing how much fuel these things drink....my malibu boat has a 340 hp monsoon v-8 and it uses no where near as much gas as the gpr..of course i dont drive the bu like the gpr.

Quote Originally Posted by salty
    Steve,

Right now, my fuel knob on the side of the boat is bypassed and I have duel fuel lines running directly to my carbs.

I have thought that it would be a good idea to tie the existing hose at the bottom of the oil tank to the fuel selector knob. From there, I would run fuel line from the knob directly to the fuel return hose which comes from the carbs and returns to the fuel tank. I would have to splice a brass "T" on the fuel return line.

On the fuel selector knob, you have 1 inlet and 2 outlet nipples. You would have to plug one and use the other.

As of right now, I have the "T" in place, but as of yet have not hooked it up. I am trying to figure if there is a down side.

It ought to work. Anytime you need extra fuel, you just turn the knob and the gas ought to just pressure itself into the fuel return line and into the fuel tank.

What do you think?

Dave,

You've got it goin' on. Wish I could try it on my 1300 but the EFI precludes that. Thats basically what I want to do though. Either have gravity feed from one tank to the other, always open, or use a valve so the fuel only flows when needed. I'm curious to find out how long it would take to drain one tank to the other? I'm still interested in the front storage compartment, also. I would imagine though, that it might be costly to mould a fuel container to fit considering regulation and insurance concerns. It would be nice to have a plug and play extra fuel tank, for those longer trips, that you could pull out of that compartment when storage is more important.

With Hydrotoys mod, the oil tank, and a storage compartment tank, thats a decent amount of extra fuel for those longer trips. Besides, I hate that low fuel alarm going off!
    On the other hand, I don't want to sit on a bomb either!

Cheers
    Last edited by howestek; 08-19-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Thread Information