Cavitation cause overheat??

I have done many searches on cavitation due to worn props and i know there are plenty of threads out there, but nowhere can i see anyone talk about cavitation on jet skis causing overheating issues. I had my engine in GP1200R reconned and at the time they also recommended i replace the prop due to the clearance around it being almost 1mm. I agreed for them to go ahead and fit new prop.

They then told me " long drive shaft has seized itself to the shorter intermediate shaft due to lack of maintenance or previous pump separation"
    and that the shafts will have to be cut/removed/replaced etc - a costly exercise.....

Now my question is if i continue to use the jet ski with the cavitation, is it merely a performance factor or will it actually cause heating issues and possible seizure??
    FYI its a bit sluggish to 20kph but once it reaches that speed it feels like it wants to take off flying and performs well. As i said, everyone talks about the performance downsides but i cant seem to find anything regarding jet skis overheating due to cavitation.

+1
    i was told this by a dealer he said that the pump can push air into the cooling system which may cause overheating problems.

cheers.
    i have seen other users say that cavitation does not cause overheating...

either way, is there any way at all to close the gap around the prop without cutting the driveshaft in pieces as the technician says??
    am i out of luck?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oggy23 View Post
    I have done many searches on cavitation due to worn props and i know there are plenty of threads out there, but nowhere can i see anyone talk about cavitation on jet skis causing overheating issues. I had my engine in GP1200R reconned and at the time they also recommended i replace the prop due to the clearance around it being almost 1mm. I agreed for them to go ahead and fit new prop.

They then told me " long drive shaft has seized itself to the shorter intermediate shaft due to lack of maintenance or previous pump separation"
    and that the shafts will have to be cut/removed/replaced etc - a costly exercise.....

Now my question is if i continue to use the jet ski with the cavitation, is it merely a performance factor or will it actually cause heating issues and possible seizure??
    FYI its a bit sluggish to 20kph but once it reaches that speed it feels like it wants to take off flying and performs well. As i said, everyone talks about the performance downsides but i cant seem to find anything regarding jet skis overheating due to cavitation.

I would be very surprised if those two shafts are really stuck together. If you have any mechanical skills, whatsoever, get your ski back and remove the pump yourself. The pump-housing is bonded onto the wear ring with sealant, and time. They do NOT release easily. I can see where he would think it's the two shafts, but like I said... I doubt it.

-I've used a slide hammer, with a hook, and the pump eventually let go.
    -Take the ride plate off, and use screw drivers in the seperator ears, and let it sit with constant pressure over a couple of hours, and they come off every time. Do not try and PRY them apart. Just let the screwdriver "wedge" apply constant pressure over some time.

or

-A combo of both techniques works very fast.

+1
    cheers.
    i have seen other users say that cavitation does not cause overheating...

either way, is there any way at all to close the gap around the prop without cutting the driveshaft in pieces as the technician says??
    am i out of luck?
    See my above post.

Also, once it does come apart, you will need a new prop, and probably a liner. Your pump bearings are probably getting pretty old too.

thanks, that does give me some hope.

so my next question is...can you do as you said without removing the engine?

thanks, that does give me some hope.

so my next question is...can you do as you said without removing the engine?
    yes, it's very simple

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    theres 5 bolts so dont go "prying" on it after removing only 4

its a little sucker on the left side of the pump 10mm i think

Thread Information