Newbie ? - oil in hull

Just picked up an 02 virage - runs really good - tops at about 50 mph - I'm 240 lbs - have run it about 2-3 hours 2 diff times.

I see a lot of oil in the bottom of the hull after use. I checked all of the obvious hoses (ones I can see) and none are leaking.

I did feel some oil leaking from the oil tank around a sensor or sending unit on the top of the oil tank inside the ski - the lid pulls right off - maybe I need a new O-ring for this piece ???

The person I got it from had just put in a new battery and I noticed there was the end of a clear hose trapped and squashed flat underneath the battery. The hose runs underneath the engine to the right side and I think up thru the handlebar or around the top of the oil/fuel tank. Maybe the oil is leaking from here ? but I think this is some sort of an air vent. What does the end of that hose attach to ???? Is it just an air vent hose - do I leave it open ? - also if it is just to remain open do I need to position it where it is not sitting in the bottom of the boat next to the bilge ?

Sorry for the wordiness - hopefully someone will know what I am talking about.

+1
    welcome to the forum

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The battery vent hose you found connects to the vent nipple on a regular lead-acid battery. If your battery has a vent nipple, that is where the hose would connect.

Fully sealed batteries do not have a vent nipple, so the hose just lays in the hull.

Sometimes the oil tank sender does get loose in the tank top. I have read of different methods of keeping it sealed.

You might try wrapping a long nylon tie around the tank to hold the sender cap down.

Another leak spot can be the one-way vent check valve. It is supposed to allow air into the tank as the oil gets used, but if the tank is over-filled, it can allow oil to seep out.

If you search around, you will find lots of other useful info, including hull cleaning techniques.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Another leak spot can be the one-way vent check valve. It is supposed to allow air into the tank as the oil gets used, but if the tank is over-filled, it can allow oil to seep out.
    guilty of that one myself, also if the previous owner over filled and spilled it will eventually end up at the back of the hull.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

tank

when the gas gets heated the fumes will back the tank swell until the check valve releases pressure but keeps like 2 psi in it.when the tank swells it bows the oil tank and makes the oil push out around the sender,this usually only happens when the oil tank is full or the nose is tilted way up.on my virage i never got it to stop but putting a 1/4 drive large hose clamp around the plastic boss of the oil sender slowed it way down

Another leak spot can be the one-way vent check valve.
    +1 on this...mine leaks all the time and is one of the things I intend to replace.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Re-positioning oil tank vent check valve to minimize oil seepage into hull

... Another leak spot can be the one-way vent check valve.

It is supposed to allow air into the tank as the oil gets used, but if the tank is over-filled, it can allow oil to seep out.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenjuna View Post
    +1 on this...mine leaks all the time and is one of the things I intend to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    when the gas gets heated the fumes will back the tank swell until the check valve releases pressure but keeps like 2 psi in it.when the tank swells it bows the oil tank and makes the oil push out around the sender, this usually only happens when the oil tank is full or the nose is tilted way up.

on my virage i never got it to stop but putting a 1/4 drive large hose clamp around the plastic boss of the oil sender slowed it way down
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    guilty of that one myself, also if the previous owner over filled and spilled it will eventually end up at the back of the hull.
    What I did was install a much longer hose between the oil tank and the oil vent check valve. Hose is now about 18 inches long.

I then mounted the check valve up high under the steering assembly. I used a pair of nylon ties to clamp it to the upper portion of the oil filler hose.

On one I inserted a nylon sleeve tube inside the hose to prevent crushing the small hose with the tie wraps. On the other, I slide a section of larger tubing over the vent tube, to give it some body, and clamped that to the filler hose.

With the check valve mounted up high, it can still admit air when the tank needs venting, but the oil cannot reach the actual check valve, even when over filled.

The longer vent hose is routed to slope downhill all the way from the re-located valve to the tank fitting, so oil won't pool inside the tube.

Thread Information