Thread: oil fogging

oil fogging

What do you guys think of this idea?

Last season I removed the spark plugs and sprayed ACF 50 into the cylinder head holes and pumped the shit through the engine with the starter a couple of times (ignition off) and then fired it up for a couple of seconds to spread the crap through the exhaust then re coated again (ignition off).

With the two strokes we sprayed until it basically was ready to die with nasty smoke everywhere, however it did work very well indeed.

I'm looking at the intake manifold steel drain plug you remove for after swamping maintenance and thinking maybe I could install a "super-dooper fogger fitting" here. I'm also thinking could this oil mess up any DFI sensors? I figure why not ask someone who's already tried it, before stepping into potential shit.

RT
    Last edited by rotortiller; 09-20-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: intake manifold steel drain plug

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    could this oil mess up any DFI sensors?
    What sensors do you think it wouold mess up? I think there is none.

What you need to figure out is how to "effectively" fog the supercharger rotors.

Inlet air temperature sensor for one. There is a caution about getting silicone lubricant on the IAT element as mentioned in the manual.There is also an airpressure sensor in the intake manifold I believe. That's 2 chances for a screw up I'm running N/A JT1500 but the 250X also has sensors in the same area with a similar caution.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Inlet air temperature sensor for one.
    There is also an airpressure sensor in the intake manifold I believe.
    Look at the shape of the IAT sensor probe on page 3-35. What kind of harm do you think fogging oil fume would do to it?
    Also, there is no caution about silicone getting on the IAT sensor. It only say on the pressure sensor which probe looks different from that of IAT. And the service manual page 3-32 cautions about getting "oil" on the probe when applying it on the o-ring during the sensor installation, not during fogging process.

The bottom line is that I sprayed a bunch of fogging oil at the throttle body for several years on my 15F and never had any problems with either sensor. Just do it as you planned . You can always easily remove the either sensor and clean the probe if you have to. I would rather worry if fogging is not done.

Yea your right I got my "P" and "T" mixed up for the sensors but they are both in that area and point made. Since you have fogged heavily I'll likely try it, my concern is if there is a moving diaphram for a resrster or something on the "P" sensor and it was sensitive to decomposition from a lubricant knowing my luck I'd get suckered

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    What you need to figure out is how to "effectively" fog the supercharger rotors.
    Not to hijack, but that is spot on

I changed my mind on the winter fogging through the intake manifold. MAP or IAP sensors are easily damaged from oil. I've read enough to make the decision to preserve it as per the Service Manual and so screw the short cuts. Here are but 2 samples.

http://www.shyauto.com/Downloads/RX0708.pdf

http://www.import-car.com/Article/39460/Diagnostic.aspx

RT

Thread Information