Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaned my carb filters today, a warning to those who haven't... PICS INSIDE!

Today I decided to clean out my carb filters. I wanted to do it purely out of curiosity, and boy am I glad I did. I want to state that my SeaDoo was running great and I had no reason to think anything was wrong... and thats what I want to warn you about. I've done some reading on here and have found several threads by people with seized motors who swear up and down they were running fine, only to tear them apart and find out they weren't getting fuel. So I pulled mine apart, and I will let the pictures say the rest.

Here is my NASTY filter from my PTO (rear) carb. The front was almost as nasty.

Here is some of the shit coming off of it while it is in a pill bottle full of acetone

Here is what it should look like now that it is clean. As you can see, not only does light pass through it easily, you can see the individual little holes.

I got it back together, whole thing took about an hour and a half. The hardest part was when I dropped a carb screw down under the motor and had to get it out.

I got it all back together, and fired it up on the trailer to make sure I didn't feck anything up. Fired right up, so I took it to the lake and went for a test drive. I was pleasantly surprised! It ran MUCH better in the water, and didn't run nearly as rough warming up. In fact, it didn't really run rough at all. It took off much quicker, and while I don't have a speedo and my friends SeaDoo was slower to begin with I couldn't tell if it was faster but it felt like it.

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is.... GO CLEAN YOUR FILTERS.

And get rid of the grey fuel lines,

amazing how those things will plug up

+1
    Ditto on the grey fuel lines or you will be doing this again.

I replaced my fuel lines and filter last month.

+1
    Good Job. Those are good pictures, unfortunately mine looked just yours! I replaced my fuel lines and cleaned out the fuel selector valve last month, but since I had my carbs off......now finishing a Group K Sleeper kit.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    damn thats dirty..How was your main filter then? clean or dirty?.

what kind of fuel lines should u run instead of the grays

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    1/4 inch, most popular is the brand Gates, available at your nearest autoparts store. Lowes also carries a fuel line, (I bought some) its 1/2 price cheaper but not as flexible as the Gates and its a bitch to try to straighten up. go with gates

+1
    The best thing to do is remove the filters inside the carbys all together as they will only block again at some later stage . The jets will allow these small particles to get through and be burnt inside the combustion chamber.So why risk it ?

because the passages are too small and will plug up,, best put the filters back in and add a see through replaceable fuel filter in the send line,,an extra pre filter if you want to call it that.

Problem is with the return fuel system you are constantly filtering your fuel,, add some age and time to a fuel system and is is not that clean any more,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information