Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it better to relief cooling water pressure?

I see many people doing some water routing mods, specially a bypass from one of the head's water outlets.

On my carbed GP1200R the stock cooling worked fine, but know I'm going 1300 with stock milled head, single pipe, jetworks mod (fercho style, secondary water line), with Dynafly and 05 pump. Keeping in mind reliability, is it better (or even mandatory) to relief some of the added water pressure or leave it stock???

Does water intrusion becomes a new concern for me? How about cooling effectiveness? with or without bypass.
    Performance?

Quote Originally Posted by chris1200 View Post
    I see many people doing some water routing mods, specially a bypass from one of the head's water outlets.

On my carbed GP1200R the stock cooling worked fine, but know I'm going 1300 with stock milled head, single pipe, jetworks mod (fercho style, secondary water line), with Dynafly and 05 pump. Keeping in mind reliability, is it better (or even mandatory) to relief some of the added water pressure or leave it stock???

Does water intrusion becomes a new concern for me? How about cooling effectiveness? with or without bypass.
    Performance?
    what you are listing here is still completely stock, it has no bearing on requirements for re routing a cooling system. Your pipe is stock, your setup is stock.

enjoy it as it is.

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    what you are listing here is still completely stock, it has no bearing on requirements for re routing a cooling system. Your pipe is stock, your setup is stock.

enjoy it as it is.

Bren

what about with a fully ported 1300 setup running advanced timing, novi's , vf3's, high comp head etc....

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    Bren

what about with a fully ported 1300 setup running advanced timing, novi's , vf3's, high comp head etc....
    advanced by what? 3 to 4 degrees?

novis dont make heat, they feed

high comp head? what 145 ? 165? superjets run this standard

VF-3"s...they are a reed valve, they only make the engine more efficient.

porting? or cleaning?

c'mon, were still talking recreational PWC's here, keep it simple, keep it fun.

porting? or cleaning?

While its true those mods will not affect directly the cooling. They do generate more power and spin more rpms on a high pressure pump this results in added higher water pressure inside the cooling system.

The question is wether added pressure and cooling will add risk of water intrusion and affect performance to a degree that justify adding a bypass.

Moderated

porting? or cleaning?

advanced by advent 94 curve....high comp as in 160 odd with a miller setup ...porting as in ported lowell style

+1
    Bypassing one of the head outlets is done mainly to help heat the pipe up. Figure once you lose the cat the pipe will run cooler. Warmer pipes scavange better. However, I never noticed any difference in either my stock 1200 ski or the 1390 ski.
    The other reason was to bring the pressure down. I can only see this being a concern with a big big prop which will flow more water through the cooling system. I also heard it helps with pressure on the big rubber coupler at the U to Stinger connection but I personally never had any issues there.

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    Why not do it? It's really easy to do and It keeps #3 cooler

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1200 View Post
    Keeping in mind reliability, is it better (or even mandatory) to relief some of the added water pressure or leave it stock???

Performance?
    Hi Chris,

My suggestion is put a pressure gauge in the line, between the pump, and the inlet into the exhust manifold. Any time you run over 30 psi you should reduce the pressure to 25 - 30 psi max. Most skis that run low 70's or above need to check pressure. Why risk more chance of water intrusion when 25 psi will flow all that is required for cooling. JMO

What has happened to other riders is the hose will only leak at WOT by the house clamp and can spray water to the carb area and be ingested. I had one 80+ mph ski burst brand new water hoses. This is also a problem on some Sea Doo skis, and we addressed it with a pressure relief in the line from the pump.

From the back fitting, on the stock head, use a T, and an inline valve, to control flow overboard. With individual heads - dump #3 overboard.

Better safe than sorry.

Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by LHorning View Post
    Hi Chris,

My suggestion is put a pressure gauge in the line, between the pump, and the inlet into the exhust manifold. Any time you run over 30 psi you should reduce the pressure to 25 - 30 psi max. Most skis that run low 70's or above need to check pressure. Why risk more chance of water intrusion when 25 psi will flow all that is required for cooling. JMO

What has happened to other riders is the hose will only leak at WOT by the house clamp and can spray water to the carb area and be ingested. I had one 80+ mph ski burst brand new water hoses. This is also a problem on some Sea Doo skis, and we addressed it with a pressure relief in the line from the pump.

From the back fitting, on the stock head, use a T, and an inline valve, to control flow overboard. With individual heads - dump #3 overboard.

Better safe than sorry.

Lowell
    Very interesting, thats the kind of data I was looking for, I will check the pressure...

Thanks Lowell!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information