+1

Supercharger health

Hey guys, after many frustrating hours i have finally managed to remove my s/c from my rxpx.. I removed it so that i could check the slip moment and shim if necessary, as i have lost a few hundred rpms recently. Is there any way to accurately check the slip moment of the charger without having the correct tools?? i have the torque wrench and what not, i am just unsure as to how i can hold the gear without causing damage.. There is 60 hours on the s/c.
    Cheers for any input guys.

yeah, stick a wooden broom handle in the jet pump so the engine won't turn and check slip with SC still on the motor. sorry that you've already removed it......

+1
    Just went out then and wrapped my hand in a rag to hold the gear, i tested it a few times to try and get as accurate as possible, and it seems the slip is at about 8.8 nm or 78 in/lbs. How does this sound for an x s/c?? is it time for a rebuild?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    yeah, stick a wooden broom handle in the jet pump so the engine won't turn and check slip with SC still on the motor. sorry that you've already removed it......
    I was going to use this method GTXX but my torque wrench only reads in a clockwise direction..

+1
    Just done a bit of research on the forum and it seems as though this slip moment is too low.. is it too far gone to shim it?? Would a slip moment this low have an effect on performance? i was down to about 7740 rpms from around 8060 at its peak
    Thanks

+1
    put the gear in a bench vise with half inch wood shims on each side so the gear bites into the wood and it doesnt have to be that tight. then with the impeller nut on top torque it counter clockwise. i have the tools but i prefer it this way

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Just went out then and wrapped my hand in a rag to hold the gear, i tested it a few times to try and get as accurate as possible, and it seems the slip is at about 8.8 nm or 78 in/lbs. How does this sound for an x s/c?? is it time for a rebuild?

If you can hold the gear with your hand and make it slip then the slip is way too low. You probably have a lot of wear on the gear/washers, etc. With 60 hours on it and the slip that low i would go ahead and rebuild the supercharger. Shimming at this point would only be a band aid fix and it will start slipping again shortly afterward.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    If you can hold the gear with your hand and make it slip then the slip is way too low. You probably have a lot of wear on the gear/washers, etc. With 60 hours on it and the slip that low i would go ahead and rebuild the supercharger. Shimming at this point would only be a band aid fix and it will start slipping again shortly afterward.
    Thanks Jerry. I have sent u a PM

+1
    At the least replace with RIVA washers.

Thread Information