Thread: Painting SMC

Painting SMC

Sorry to dig up an old subject but I'm sure I saw a good thread on this and can't find it now (the search won't bring up smc). When I've filled and rubbed down the Waverunner, what type (make etc) of primer, colour and clear would give the toughest finish. I know we have some guys on here who are experts in this field, so I'd really value some pro-advice. We have a paint supplier locally who deals with most company's products but he'd like me to tell him what is best for SMC, as he's pretty sure an acid etch primer is right, but is getting different advice from various company's. This is fairly typical over here, and I don't want to be a guinea pig for their guesswork! Thankyou guys.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I had 2 ski's painted to far. we used normal auto body primer, base and clear over scuffed up stock paint. It looks great, but it is very fragile. if i had to do it again i would go with a single stage without clear, like they are stock. sure it oxidizes more, but at least that and sacratches can be buffed out.

I bookmarked this thread because it was very helpful to me, but I can't remember if he went into a lot of detail about the SMC difference. Some of the pics have been removed, but it's still informative. Good luck!

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...s+repair+paint

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    I had 2 ski's painted to far. we used normal auto body primer, base and clear over scuffed up stock paint. It looks great, but it is very fragile. if i had to do it again i would go with a single stage without clear, like they are stock. sure it oxidizes more, but at least that and sacratches can be buffed out.
    +1. I did a test section on my hull and was not happy at all with the endurance, so I'm back to the old drawing board.

Good link for ideas, thank's. I was hoping to use a metallic blue 2 pack base plus clear on the deck, but if it's going to be fragile, a solid blue would have to do, I suppose. Certainly need something that won't be easily damaged on the hull, and a solid white was my thought there, with or without clear? when recovering in rough seas. We sometimes have to ride the ski up the trailer and get out quick with the tractor. No luxury of winching it on carefully! I'd appreciate any other thoughts guys, and thank's for what you've said so far.

Thread Information