New 07 Kawasaki 250X owner Questions

Frequent visitor to GreenHulk and new member. My first post is about my recently purchased 2007 Kawaski Ultra 250X. Compared to my previous jetski, this one has been a blast! I really appreciated the helpful service manual and other posters on this board. After riding it for about an hour or two, I noticed there are water in the hull. If I had to quantify the amount, it would be at least a gallon or more. I also notice that the bilge is constantly putting out water. Is this normal for this jetski?

The other thing I noticed is that the engine is pretty hot. It's not burning hot but definately more hot than warm. The oil level seems to be ok.

And the last thing is I noticed that the ski leans as if it was going to dunk us into the water when I had my nephew on board. Granted he is a little bigger fellar, about 200#. I had to remind him to lean the opposite way if the ski did this. I do not remember having to do this when I was riding my Yamaha VX110. Maybe I am just paranoid and....

Anyway, thanks a bunch in advance and see you all on the water.

Greetings.

A slow right turn on an Ultra with a 200lb passenger, yes, that can get sketchy right quick! Entirely normal for the V hull. You trade some stability at slow speed for more stability at high speed.

The one sensor I hope I can trust is the engine overheat. I cant tell much from just feeling heat from the engine (smoke I can see but by then its too late). Yes it gets hot, but its using controlled explosions to drive some massive pistons in tight space.

Are you sure you are seeing discharge from the bilge? Discharge from the nipple on the bow (if thats what you mean) is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by RickFOB View Post

1. I noticed there are water in the hull. If I had to quantify the amount, it would be at least a gallon or more. I also notice that the bilge is constantly putting out water. Is this normal for this jetski?

2. The other thing I noticed is that the engine is pretty hot.

3. And the last thing is I noticed that the ski leans
    1. Hull inside should be completely dry. A gallon is way too much. Guess what would happen when water gets splashed between the supercharger belt and the pulley surface when engine is turning at 7000+ rpm.

2. Not only the exhaust temp sensor, there is also an engine oil temp sensor at the front bottom of the crankcase. You will be informed by the overheat warning symbol on the dash meter AND beeping sound AND aslo by limp-home mode (much reduced rmp) if your engine overheats.

3. If the ski leans slightly to left only, that's normal. Remove the seat and look inside the engine compartment. You will know why it would do that.
    Last edited by meangreenman; 09-25-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Green and Blue Ones. I appreciate the insight into the lean and sensors. As for the water, what do recommend as the best way to diagnose the problem? Run the engine with the water hose and see where it's possibly leaking from? I read about hose coming off and dumping water in the hull so I could be slightly loose? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by RickFOB View Post
    As for the water, what do recommend as the best way to diagnose the problem?
    If running on garden hose does not reveal anything, try following 3 methods.

If leak seems to be slow and little:
    Before launching the ski at the boat ramp, DO NOT loosen any of the straps on your ski to the trailer. Dunk the ski/trailer into water so that jetpump portion of the ski is in water, remove the seat run the engine and see where the leak might be. You may have to run the engine higher than idle rpm to pressurize the cooling system. Of course, you don't want to do this in weekends where 100+ angry boaters are waiting at the ramp and/or when sheriff/boat patrol guy is eyeing on you.

If leak seems to be fast and a lot:
    Ride the ski without the seat and look inside the engine compartment. Sometimes you may be able to find it. But watch where you are going as well at the same time.

If above 2 methods fail and you think hull is leaking:
    On land, fill up the hull with water about several inches high. Then raise the bow/nose of the ski using engine hoise, fork-lift etc. And watch where the water may come out. I use my tractor front-end-loader which has 2000-lb hydraulic lift capacity.

Thread Information