+1

Any tips when buying a GPS?

I am looking for a gps atm. Does any one have any tips on things i should look for before buying. I dont need the ones that display the area. I only need one that can log where i have been on google earth, top speed, average speed and maybe a plotter function for good fishing areas. I think one that can be mounted would be good to. So if you are happy or unhappy with the one you have let me know the make and model. thanks. And yes i did search GPS's but nothing i could find pointed me in the right direction but please let me know if i missed something.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    use the search tool.. too many threads about this stuff..

+1
    www.megagps.com is the site I've used to purchase GPS's from. Check out that site and see what they have. I have a simple Garmin Forerunner which is great just to show top speed, mileage, hours etc.

+1
    Thanks X. that was a lot of help. There is always one sit that slips over the radar. Thankyou hallpass. Already done that, read them all. But old models discontinue and new models come out. As i found out in one of the threads for example the Garmin Forerunner 301 discontinued.

+1

Re: Garmin

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 76 CSX and love it. I use for routing, timing, distance, fishing... this unit does it all. I also use it in my vehicle. It actually has a few bells and whistles I don't use. It wasn't the least expensive but one of the reason I bought it was that SeaDoo makes an optional glove box lid for it to snap in to. And it works great.

I know there are lots of brands out there, but as far as Garmin, go to the link and compare model to model for the features you want. This will help narrow your search. Then go back to the i-net and find your best price.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=143

When you go to the link, just click the models you want to view then click compare.

+1
    Cool thanks gater. That is the answer i wanted. A small review on something that you are happy with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2540 View Post
    Cool thanks gater. That is the answer i wanted. A small review on something that you are happy with.
    No problem. I forgot to mention about maps. This is usually the biggest complaint among Garmin users: The cost of maps. The base map that come w/most units isn't worth the card it's loaded on. You'll prob. end up buying a map or two (CD/DVD). Depending on what you get, you could spend between $100.00 to $135.00 for a map. But, if you know someone, sharing maps can help w/the costs. And the MapSource works great on the PC. Very easy to learn and is even GE compatible.

A friend of mine has just decided on the GPSMAP 60 Cx. I think it may be a little cheaper than the 76 but has mostly the same capabilities.

Thread Information