Ocean Pro Ride Plate installation help

i recently purchased an ocean pro (ocean) ride plat for my 97 sl 780 jet ski. It turns out that after talking with the owner of the shop that this plate does not exactly fit perfectly and some modification is needed to the plate. First off the plate screw holes have to be extended out about a 1/4th of an inch. Second the plate is thicker than the stock plate on the end so there is a little bit of a hump where the grate meets the stock plate. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this would impact my speed a lot due to the new bump where the grate is and the fact that the screws will potentially stick up on the ride plate a little bit. If anybody has installed this plate before and has some input i would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I had the same problem with mine. I had to file and countersink the holes so it would fit properly.

well at least i know i am not only lol.... im guessing i will try the same and use some marine putty to put over the screws so make it smooth again. Did you do anything to fix it being thicker at the front thus creating a little bit of hangover under the grate?

Nope, I didn't do anything about the bump, but I don't remember there being a bump.

As for the screws, I didn't need to fill them as I countersunk the plate enough.

oh ok well thanks for the info. One last question for you since you have the same ski and the same plate. Did you see a big improvement> Also, did you notice any effect on it slowing your top speed down?

Yes and no.

I bought the extended "ocean" Ocean Pro ride plate, and it took some speed off the top end when on glass water.

However, without the ride plate, I couldn't maintain full throttle in the chop which seems to be 99% of my riding.

Now, I can maintain full throttle in the chop without it bouncing too much.

I found the R&D grate helped a lot also.

Thread Information