+1

Boost or RPM - Which impacts reliability more?

Is it more reliable to run a bigger SC on a stock ECU or a smaller SC at higher RPMs?

+1
    theoretically thats pretty simple as anything turning LESS revolutions/ RPM is gonna live longer as its wear factor is LESS and longevity should be increased over and above a higher revolutions/rpm application..........assuming EVERYTHING is the EXACT same and its boost to boost, mod to mod spec to spec other then rpm.....even more boost at less rpm IMO would be safer than less boost at a higher rpm application for the wear factor and longevity overall....PERIOD!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    theoretically thats pretty simple as anything turning LESS revolutions/ RPM is gonna live longer as its wear factor is LESS and longevity should be increased over and above a higher revolutions/rpm application..........assuming EVERYTHING is the EXACT same and its boost to boost, mod to mod spec to spec other then rpm.....even more boost at less rpm IMO would be safer than less boost at a higher rpm application for the wear factor and longevity overall....PERIOD!!
    You forgot yo say BET!!

I pondered this same question before upgrading to the Riva ECU.
    I felt the Rude1 with ECU would hold up longer in 3 - 4 foot chop at WOT than a big boost charger would. However for flat waters maybe a bigger boost will probably live longer.

+1
    Just look at the failures out there. There are lots of dropped valves and some piston damage from rocking at high rpm, but very few broken or melted pistons. Broken and melted pistons are caused by detonation, which comes from high boost. Folks are running 20+ psi without detonation. That's why I chose to stick with 8100 rpm and run 17-18 psi boost with a very tall prop.

There are more failures caused by rpm than boost. Of course, the high boost chargers seem to have compromised clutch life too.

Mike

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Just look at the failures out there. There are lots of dropped valves and some piston damage from rocking at high rpm, but very few broken or melted pistons. Broken and melted pistons are caused by detonation, which comes from high boost. Folks are running 20+ psi without detonation. That's why I chose to stick with 8100 rpm and run 17-18 psi boost with a very tall prop.

There are more failures caused by rpm than boost. Of course, the high boost chargers seem to have compromised clutch life too.

Mike
    Good post I know mines staying right at 8100 RPM

There have been posts before from some very respectable members... 8500 RPM or higher and/or 15psi of boost or more and you start to run into some issues. Like engineermike said, piston rock is one of them.

Thread Information