Open loop system zinc gone is less than 10 hrs

This is on a friends RXT. I donít know exactly how many hours on the open loop kit, but I know the ski has been out four times. Two times for testing/adjusting and two times out for a day of fun. The problem is that the zinc, (sacrificial anode), installed in the cover for the water pump is completely eroded away already. The initial concern was that it had broken off and was somewhere inside the engine. After closer inspection we considered the possibility that it may have rapidly eroded away completely from galvanic erosion. No big deal right, but in less that 10 hrs. Now we have some possible issues. I canít bear the thought of thinking about how quickly the softer metals in the engine cooling system would erode away if this zinc wasnít there. Attached are a couple of pictures of what was left of the zinc (sacrificial anode) that was installed in the cover of the water pump. There is also a picture of what the zinc looks like new. I wonder if there is a grounding problem with the charging system, ignition system, etc. Has anyone else seen this? Should we be concerned?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2150.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	764.9 KB 
ID:	151754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2151.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	591.4 KB 
ID:	151755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3618.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	151756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3624.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	151761  

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dduck1628 View Post
    This is on a friends RXT. I don’t know exactly how many hours on the open loop kit, but I know the ski has been out four times. Two times for testing/adjusting and two times out for a day of fun. The problem is that the zinc, (sacrificial anode), installed in the cover for the water pump is completely eroded away already. The initial concern was that it had broken off and was somewhere inside the engine. After closer inspection we considered the possibility that it may have rapidly eroded away completely from galvanic erosion. No big deal right, but in less that 10 hrs. Now we have some possible issues. I can’t bear the thought of thinking about how quickly the softer metals in the engine cooling system would erode away if this zinc wasn’t there. Attached are a couple of pictures of what was left of the zinc (sacrificial anode) that was installed in the cover of the water pump. There is also a picture of what the zinc looks like new. I wonder if there is a grounding problem with the charging system, ignition system, etc. Has anyone else seen this? Should we be concerned?
    I think its par for the course with a tiny anode like that. Galvanic corrosion at work! I wonder if grounding that little anode to the battery or block will help more or not. Or is it already set up that way??

I work on fire equipment and of course the pumps use the anodes too. But they are magnesium. Which was told to us by Pierce Mfg. is better with fresh water use in the fire pumps and zinc is good for salt water use. Was also noted that an aluminum anode will last alot longer but we stuck with the magnesium. Anyway, little trick I do with them so its easy to tell when the anode is gone.... I drill a small hole in the brass section of the anodes end. Just enough so I can see the anode material through the hole. That way when the anode is completely gone water will squirt out the hole. Now granted the water coming out of that brass fitting might not be a great idea on a ski. But at the same time you wouldnt have to take the anode out all the time to check it.

+1
    Very interesting. That makes me wonder how the one in my intercooler looks. Maybe some others that ride in salt will post up. Maybe others are like that and they just dont know it yet. I am sure people will go check tonight though.

Thread Information