Prohibido usuario
    +1

Question for pilots/airplane people

I was reading an article about a 1969 GII and it stated that the plane consumed 530 gallons of fuel per hour and operating it cost $10,000 per hour of flight time. Do those numbers sound right? Could they have meant liters or pounds on the fuel? Even the operating costs seem high to me. I understand that includes pilots, hanger, airport fees, maintenance, etc

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I was reading an article about a 1969 GII and it stated that the plane consumed 530 gallons of fuel per hour and operating it cost $10,000 per hour of flight time. Do those numbers sound right? Could they have meant liters or pounds on the fuel? Even the operating costs seem high to me. I understand that includes pilots, hanger, airport fees, maintenance, etc
    More like 5300 pounds of fuel and considering maintenance cost etc the prices can get really up there for those models..
    Last edited by james k; 09-29-2009 at 11:30 PM.

I am a pilot and just rent planes. But my buddy owns a super king air and he said that fuel costs are about only 33% of his cost. He said insurance is a huge cost, and things like landing fees, and maintnence including an annual and new props and everything. No idea what the G2 burns though.

I work in aircraft mx at FedEx but work on considerable bigger aicraft than that but I would think that 10g's per hr would be very reasonable considering everything. Most people don't really realize everything that goes into keeping an airplane flying. You don't have just pilots salaries and mx salaries you also have the cost of insurance, landing fees which were mentioned and the cost of parts that do break and the cost of parts that have time changes. On aircraft your required to do gear changes ever so many cycles (a cycle being takeoff and landing being 1 cycle) so a company like FedEx which flys the crap out of theirs has gear changes quite often. We have A checks, B checks, C checks, K checks, all these heavy checks that an aircraft is required to go thru after so many cycles, roughly about 3 months for a B check which I work required by the FAA and we haven't even touched the cost of fuel, me as a mechanic, and a pilot, those are really minimal in relation. In B checks on routine maint. is done but anything found is also replaced. We borescope engines to inspect wear and if the excede wear engine changes are done, if delam is found on flight control surfaces they may be changed, you pretty much name it. It can be very very costly. An MEC for a GE on an A300 several hundred thousand dollars itself and about the size of 2 shoeboxes, very very expensive stuff.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the GS II has a fuel capacity of just under 3000 gallons and a range of 6 hours...so around 500 gallons an hour at cruise is a reasonable consumption rate..10k an hour operating costs is a somewhat reasonable assumption.

With 20 passengers coughing up $500 each for an hour flight.....

I would think an aircraft like that if you can afford it you don't worry about other costs. On another note, if you did have something like that you would prob use it for business and use it for tax write off so there would be benefits also. Right now we're putting in HUD mods and our own fire supression system for our aircraft. On the aircraft the fire system is going on for right now they are "experimental" so the gov't gives $$$$$ to back the project then FedEx can still claim it so it really doesn't cost them much then if they work correctly they will market their own and sell to other airlines, pretty stupid huh, and they never even paid for the bulk of it to begin with. We just had a 727 that was damaged in a storm and should have been scraped but the powers that be decided to repair it for unknown reasons. Well, come to find out, after its repaired it has to have an A check done on it then its flown directly to Indy for a C check then the Gov't is paying FedEx to scrap it. Think of the maint cost in repairing it, A check, C check, plus taking up hangar space the entire time to not even fly freight just to go to the boneyard, its rediculous the things you see and hear about in the airline industry, if you only knew.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ..10k an hour operating costs is a somewhat reasonable assumption.

You would not be making any money

20 times $500 = $10,000

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    the GS II has a fuel capacity of just under 3000 gallons and a range of 6 hours...so around 500 gallons an hour at cruise is a reasonable consumption rate..10k an hour operating costs is a somewhat reasonable assumption.

Well how is it economically possible for me to get on larger sized regional jet with 25 people on board and pay $25 per hour flight time?

Well how is it economically possible for me to get on larger sized regional jet with 25 people on board and pay $25 per hour flight time?

Why do you think Northwest is out of business now among others?

Thread Information