Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How strong are the NanoXcel Hulls?

I am thinking about buying a FZR. How are the new NanoXcel hulls holding up to real world abuse ?

+1
    As good as any other hull. No better, no worse.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    As good as any other hull. No better, no worse.
    So the hull itself is strong it's just the pump tunnel that needs re-inforcement? My Pump tunnel began to crack after about 12 hrs of use. I've never gone wave jumping etc. I'm purely a very light chop rider.

I've heard a few people (on this forum) say that the Nano isnt as strong as fiberglass. I've also seen a Sho hull that was cracked at the rear, his did see more off shore riding than mine though. Still went 80+mph though .

I'm by no means an expert but based from what I've heard/seen it appears that the Nano isn't as strong. I could be wrong though

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    So the hull itself is strong it's just the pump tunnel that needs re-inforcement? My Pump tunnel began to crack after about 12 hrs of use. I've never gone wave jumping etc. I'm purely a very light chop rider.

I've heard a few people (on this forum) say that the Nano isnt as strong as fiberglass. I've also seen a Sho hull that was cracked at the rear, his did see more off shore riding than mine though. Still went 80+mph though .

I'm by no means an expert but based from what I've heard/seen it appears that the Nano isn't as strong. I could be wrong though
    I dont think anybody has had a problem with an FZ hull stateside (Dont quote me). If they had a problem id bet that Dan or Jerry would be the first to say something about theirs. They are pushing them pretty dam hard!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post

Only the SHOs require tunnel reinforcement. PM 305coco for the piece and glue that sucker in.

It's not uncommon to have to do tunnel reinforcements. The GPR required it, some of the Sea Doo X boats require it, that's why I said the nanoXcel technology is really no better or worse. It's still finberglass, just a slightly different process that results in it being much lighter.

I've heard of a few skis cracking at the rear, mostly in Aussie land, and I think all have been FZ boats. Not SHOs that I have heard of. So Yamaha hulls can crack and Doo hulls can delaminate, no idea in Kawi hulls, they all have their qwirks.

What I'm trying to say is, stuff can go wrong on any brand or model you buy. There is nothing in my opinion that makes the NanoXcel material any better (except it's lighter) or worse than any of the rest of the stuff other manufacturers use. If I was considering a new ski, the hull material would be a non issue. Get the warranty for peace of mind.

Only the SHOs require tunnel reinforcement. PM 305coco for the piece and glue that sucker in.

It's not uncommon to have to do tunnel reinforcements. The GPR required it, some of the Sea Doo X boats require it, that's why I said the nanoXcel technology is really no better or worse. It's still finberglass, just a slightly different process that results in it being much lighter.

I've heard of a few skis cracking at the rear, mostly in Aussie land, and I think all have been FZ boats. Not SHOs that I have heard of. So Yamaha hulls can crack and Doo hulls can delaminate, no idea in Kawi hulls, they all have their qwirks.

What I'm trying to say is, stuff can go wrong on any brand or model you buy. There is nothing in my opinion that makes the NanoXcel material any better (except it's lighter) or worse than any of the rest of the stuff other manufacturers use. If I was considering a new ski, the hull material would be a non issue. Get the warranty for peace of mind.
    dont mean to kill this post but Where is the "tunnel" and what does tunnel reinforcement mean? Im still a rookie at this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fxho View Post
    dont mean to kill this post but Where is the "tunnel" and what does tunnel reinforcement mean? Im still a rookie at this.
    Open the back seat. It's the little hump at the back right infront of the battery. Search for pump tunnel re-inforcement.

I got mine re-inforced 2 weeks ago.

Hitman - yes the ski I saw was at the rear too. All the others I heard about cracking were on the forum so I'm not sure where they were.

The general impression I got was that Nano was not as strong as the fiberglass. I also have a 1 year warranty so hopefully if mine does crack it is before that year is up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fxho View Post
    It's the pump tunnel. As in the tunnel that the impeller, shaft, impeller housing, and stator sit inside.

If you take off your rear seat, remove the rear storage bucket, look in there, there is a big tunnel running front to back. That is your pump tunnel.

Here is what the reinforcement piece looks like:

And here is a pic of it painted black, and then glued over the pump tunnel to reinforce it:

See the black glue (3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant) oozing out around it? Make sense?

+1
    It's the pump tunnel. As in the tunnel that the impeller, shaft, impeller housing, and stator sit inside.

If you take off your rear seat, remove the rear storage bucket, look in there, there is a big tunnel running front to back. That is your pump tunnel.

Here is what the reinforcement piece looks like:

And here is a pic of it painted black, and then glued over the pump tunnel to reinforce it:

See the black glue (3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant) oozing out around it? Make sense?
    so you just put that piece over the top and glue it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information