96 seadoo GSX no spark.

I have a 96 seadoo gsx. Sometimes it has spark and sometimes no spark. Most of the time it doesn't start now. I checked the coil and it seems to be good. Resistance says 0.08ohms. I know when i put my key in sometimes it beeps and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe that is just the speaker? So now i am down to a few things. Is it the mpeg the ecu or the stator/rectifier. What is the next step to check. So the stator gives signal to the coil and sends spark right? Could it be the key no good? It does crank though, so i guess it can't be the key. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    clean your key connections, i doubt is the speaker or else it wouldnt beep at all. are all of your wires nice and tight? any corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    clean your key connections, i doubt is the speaker or else it wouldnt beep at all. are all of your wires nice and tight? any corrosion?
    What do u use to clean the key connections. I used a rag and a compressor blower. Do i need brake clean or something or is there other ways to clean it? What is that piece called on top of where u put the key? Landyard or something? Could that be bad? Even before i had problems with the key, even if it didn't beep, the seadoo will still start. After the seadoo rolled over and had full of water, i got all the water out of the plugs and everything and in the cylinders. It starts, but then it died. Now no start and no spark. Could that be just a coincidance because there are no water in there 100% now. It cranks, but i hookup my tester and no start. Where to check? I checked all the fuses and they seem to be ok.

I had a similiar problem with my XP recently. It stopped beeping when I attached the key but it would give the long warning beep if I pushed the start button with no key attached. But if I hit the start button once then attached the key it would beep! lol And it was also losing spark......

Anyway, check the wiring harness connections at the MPEM. I had water in one of them and it corroded a couple plugs. I cleaned it up and put some dielectric grease on them and it works fine now.

Hope that helps
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ocjumper View Post
    I had a similiar problem with my XP recently. It stopped beeping when I attached the key but it would give the long warning beep if I pushed the start button with no key attached. But if I hit the start button once then attached the key it would beep! lol And it was also losing spark......

Anyway, check the wiring harness connections at the MPEM. I had water in one of them and it corroded a couple plugs. I cleaned it up and put some dielectric grease on them and it works fine now.

Hope that helps
    Rob
    All the wiring seems ok. Is there a way to check if the mpem has a problem? What are the symptoms normally when there is a mpem problem?

Check all the grounds in your ignition box. Make sure they are free of rust. Download the shop manual off this site for your ski and it tells you how to check the lanyard switch with a volt meter. If that checks out, pull the stator cover off the front of the engine and most likely you'll find some metal shavings in there. Thats pretty normal but sometimes they will build a bridge across the two solder connections on the crank sensor shorting it out. So clean all that up and see what happens. Also check the black ground wire inside the cover for corrosion, I have seen this happen too.
    And most of the time the MPEM will blow the 5 amp fuse when it goes bad.

Rob

Thread Information