Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anything on this ski make it less reliable?

Hey guys, I found this really nice RX on Ebay. But it lists some aftermarket mods that I am not sure about. Also, does anyone have any estimate of how fast it would run with those mods?

EDIT: I guess I should post the link huh...lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...lQ5fWatercraft

You may want to post a link to the Ebay auction or at least list the mods.

its there now...I guess I forgot to do that lol

+1
    Well, WSM pistons make good ashtrays, IMO.

If the carbs were re-jetted for the Proks then that is not really an issue as that setup runs better than stock (again, IMO).

I would want to know why it was rebuilt and why he had to go to +1mm on the bore.
    He does not say who the rebuilt crank is from either. This does not give me a warm and fuzzy because that bore and those pistons are a lot like what SBT does to an engine.

I also wonder why an engine with only 107 hours on it went tits up. I have an '02 GTX with almost 200 hours on the original engine and still pumps 150psi of static compression. They did not use the gray fuel lines in '02 so you can not blame it on that.

Also, you can make of it what you want but all of his feedback is as a buyer.

so what your saying is that I should stay away from this one.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    If it only has the PROK filters on it and stock jetting...it won't go any faster than a stock one,just better response if the carbs are tuned i.e pop off,larger jets, (imo)
    But,it looks great and motor seems to be done nicely with some detail instead of just slappin it in.....

If I was really seriously considering buying this, I would see if Jim could take a look at it, he lives about 30 minutes away from me.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    oh c'on I got WSM pistons on my ski. and i check the compression every 10 hours and still at 155 each, but i think whats keeping it all cool is the buckshot head.

+1
    Actually, Prok filters with stock jets would be faster...until it started melting things.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and one of mine is any piston other than OE. If they work for you, that is awsome (though that is in a 787, an engine that is a bit more forgiving than a 947, often enough).

I am just hard pressed to understand why you bore a 947 out to fourth over (thinning the cylinder walls and all that) unless you have too (either because the sleeves are that messed up, or, like SBT, you do because almost any engine that comes in will bore at +1mm so that is the only size of cheap, anodized to help them not come apart, piston you have to buy).

Anyway, all I am saying that I would not spend too much on it. It is interesting that the Buy-It price is only 2500.00. That may be where his reserve is, or it may be less. The boat seems to be cosmetically sound and is quite pretty. If everything else is in good shape then you can go 2000-2500 (with trailer) on it and cross your fingers on the engine.

Then your worst case scenario is it cost you another 1200-1500 to get an engine properly rebuilt (and Jim would be a good guy to use for that, if it came to it).

So, if you pay 2500 for it and then have to put 1500 in it if the engine gernades you are looking at 4000 for a 3300 (NADA Average Retail) boat.

If you can pull and rebuild one yourself, you are closer to that 3300 mark. If not, you had better get it for a lower price.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Actually, Prok filters with stock jets would be faster...until it started melting things.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and one of mine is any piston other than OE. If they work for you, that is awsome (though that is in a 787, an engine that is a bit more forgiving than a 947, often enough).

I am just hard pressed to understand why you bore a 947 out to fourth over (thinning the cylinder walls and all that) unless you have too (either because the sleeves are that messed up, or, like SBT, you do because almost any engine that comes in will bore at +1mm so that is the only size of cheap, anodized to help them not come apart, piston you have to buy).

Anyway, all I am saying that I would not spend too much on it. It is interesting that the Buy-It price is only 2500.00. That may be where his reserve is, or it may be less. The boat seems to be cosmetically sound and is quite pretty. If everything else is in good shape then you can go 2000-2500 (with trailer) on it and cross your fingers on the engine.

Then your worst case scenario is it cost you another 1200-1500 to get an engine properly rebuilt (and Jim would be a good guy to use for that, if it came to it).

So, if you pay 2500 for it and then have to put 1500 in it if the engine gernades you are looking at 4000 for a 3300 (NADA Average Retail) boat.

If you can pull and rebuild one yourself, you are closer to that 3300 mark. If not, you had better get it for a lower price.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information