+1

Any Wndows Home Server Users on here....

Last night one of my systems crashed after a game I installed didn't properly load its "protection drivers" causing the registry to become corrupted. I've been trying to run the WHS restore CD, & after copying the "home server drivers for restore" from the backup volume to a USB drive, it still can't find my server. It is showing that it recognizes the NIC & storage devices on the downed system but still won't connect.

Have you checked the firewall on the server?

+1
    Yep, I've tried it with the firewall disabled & still no go. I've also double-checked that the DHCP server is enabled on the router.

So, the corrupt system wont boot to windows at all? (safe mode, etc)??

Can you reformat and re-install windows, then run the back up from the server?

Sorry, I work on Server 2003 and 2008 everyday but I don't have any expierence with the WHS.

+1
    I've tried booting in safe mode, last known good config & also tried the repair option. I'm hopeful I've found the solution on the microsoft forum. The client system uses x64 Vista, but the restore CD environment is 32 bit so the NIC drivers aren't compatible. I downloaded the Winserver2003 drivers from Realtek & will try loading those from the restore environment next. If it still doesn't work, I'll try connecting the client pc directly to the server with a crossover cable & try again. I had the same idea about reinstalling windows, but will try that last. WHS comes with connector software that must be installed in order to access the server over the network, so I'm hopeful the restore feature can be used from within windows on a fresh install if all else fails. Unfortunately, this seems to be a very common issue that WHS users don't discover until a system goes down. Worse case is that I will have to reinstall all my apps, but at least my data is safe. It kinda defeats the purpose of having automatic backup to the server though.

One thing I can tell you is MS advanced tech support SUCKS for this OS. Since WHS is only available as OEM software, I don't think they do much training for their support staff. The only option he came up with was to take a spare drive to my 32 bit XP machine, restore the volume to the extra drive & then use Acronis to image it over to the corrupted system. I don't have an extra 500GB drive & wasn't going to pay $79 for that kind of solution. At least the mods on the MS forum are much more knowledgable, so I was able to find some possible fixes myself.

+1
    Just bang the computer. It works with everything, TV, A/C, Cars, Skis. Lol, bang the crap out of it. Ok but seriously, try hitting F11 on boot up and restore to like a month ago before you had the problem. That always seems to magically work.

+1
    I installed the 32 bit NIC driver while in the WHS restore environment & I was able to access the server & restore the drive. I first installed the XP/Winserver2003 driver & it failed but later noticed it didn't unzip into the root directory. I had success using the Vista/Winserver2008 driver.

Some links for anyone having similar issues:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...threads?page=1
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...3-ec68dd6814b5
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...6-c75b7a58d6e7
    Realtek drivers:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Level=3&Conn=2

No need to pay $79 for tech support from this guy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Microsoft%20Technical%20Support.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	154218  

Thread Information