Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: She LIVES!

She LIVES!

got the emm back for my new 2002 virage, plugged it in and she fires right up. woot!

I did a once over on everything, and it seems that whatever shop had this last decided to keep most of the nuts, bolts, screws, and clamps, so now I have to go find a bunch of those...odd that I didn't notice this before.

anyway she is smoking like a chimney, going to have to take her out this weekend and run her on the trailer for a while before I take any chances on it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    John Zigler sells boxes of bolt/nut hardware from parted out skis.

Make sure that Ficht capacitor is clamped in place

Tighten all the exhaust hose clamps, including those WAY in the back, where the exhaust exits the hull.

Glad to hear it starts now!

Check battery voltage when the engine is running, should be 13.5 - 14.5 volts.

Nice looking ski

BTW, you need to raise that trailer bow roller up higher to meet the hull properly.

yeah that's how I noticed something was amiss...I went to check the hoses in the back and no clamps...starting looking around and noticed a lot of missing clamps, screws, bolts, etc.

I will check in with zig on the hardware set.

I actually am trading this trailer off for a double next week...found a guy who wanted my coin-op dartboard and had a nice zieman trailer, just waiting for him to get back from vacation.

there is a long way to go before I will be comfortable riding this thing...it seems all the screws and such are loose so I was going to go over everything with a torque wrench. voltage is currently at 11.8, am going to get the odyssey battery you have recommended to others, since the one I have is a wet cell and I don't want any part of that.

+1
    Pay attention to the torque patterns, where they are spec'ed.

The injector bolts need to be torqued evenly, and the injectors need to be centered in the cylinder head holes.

You may want to first remove the injector brackets (they just lift straight up after the bolts are out), and confirm the fat O-ring is in place on top of each injector. That thick O-ring is what actually presses the injector into the head.

Before you loosen the injectors, loosen the fuel tank cap to relieve pressure, and push the Schrader valve tee on the return fuel line to bleed any remaining pressure.

The injector to head seal is just metal to metal - no sealant or o-ring down there.

Grab the exhaust manifold, and try rocking the engine side to side with some force. It should not move much at all, just barely. Sometimes the bolts into the bottom of the engien work loose, and you don't want that to go un-noticed

what if I like living dangerously?

heh, thanks again...great advice as always.

+1
    Nice looking ski!. Glad to hear you have it running.

Stop at your nearest harbor freight. They have a box of hose clamps pretty cheap. Much better then going to an auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    Stop at your nearest harbor freight. They have a box of hose clamps pretty cheap. Much better then going to an auto parts store.
    ty sir...that is in fact what I did. I found some screws in the bottom of the hull (thank goodness for inspection mirrors and magnets) and was able to piece together a good portion of what was missing.

I basically just need to clean up the emm mess as all of the fasteners are missing. I am using this opportunity to check all the connectors and fuses as well.

I am a bit concerned about the amount of smoke coming out when I rev it up...at idle there is no smoke. is my concern warranted? my assumption is that this has not been run for at least a year, possibly 2...no idea if it was weatherized, but either way I have no experience with how a craft should act after not having been used for a while. should I let it run a bit and see if it burns off, or should I be concerned now?

+1
    Since compression was good, I think you will be OK with the smoke.

It may well be just accumulated oil from multiple no-start cranking attempts by the previous owner, and the repair shop. Might still have some fogging oil down there too.

The plugs may get fouled by excess oil, so you may need to install a fresh set after you have run it enough to burn off the excess oil.

You may find more screws and hardware under the waterbox and battery, and elsewhere in the rear of the hull All those little ribs in the hull bottom make for many spots for stuff to hide

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Woot Hoo,Big Daddy's got a new toy,Momma's not going to see much of you now.

If you buy any nuts and bolts,try and get the Stainless Steel ones. Ace Hardware by me carries alot of the common sizes,so you my find them at one near you.

As K says, You won't really know about the smoke till you get it warmed and alittle time running, Extra fuel and oil could be loaded in the waterbox,and won't get cleared out for awhile.

I think you will be real happy with that ride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information