Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MIT proves two stroke is better and cleaner than a 4 stroke

MIT has sucessfully proven that a two stroke done right can provide almost twice as much power and with 2/3 as much pollution as a FOUR STROKE!

a prototype engine was done using a rotax bombardier 600cc snowmobile engine... the objectives: Cleaner, Faster, and remain Quiet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ha Ha! Take that 4 stroke lovers!

Quote Originally Posted by gtxscrider View Post
    Ha Ha! Take that 4 stroke lovers!

this was a students project... it was very carefully and brilliantly designed...

oil injection through the intake manifold and pressurized gas with direct fuel injection into the pistons. each injector is hooked up to standalone electric fuel pumps and pressurized air. its then pumped into each cylinder...

its also hooked up to an electronic ignition that's multichannel. it allows the timing of each cylinder and as a whole to be changed... like retarding at low rpms and advanced at high rpms for the best burn

not only that this thing has temp sensors everywhere... including underneath the pistons themselves..

Mass airflow sensors and o2 sensors are put into the system as well... the tuned pipe is for noise suppression rather than performance..not only but this thing has freaking cooling everywhere... including the oil and water injection to the pistons.

sooo imagine what would happen if this thing was beefed up even more with engine porting performance tuned pipes higher compression head etc..

slap it in your ski and you got your self one MONSTER two stroke dual cylinder engine.

i dont think any ol superjet or tricked out kawi will keep up with that...

better yet.. do these mods to an 800... and you got yourself waaaaayyyy too much power... esp. in a standup!
    Last edited by PeteSkeet; 09-24-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typos

+1
    Didn't see anything about MIT, but Michigan Tech sponsored the contest. Looks pretty interesting, with pretty much 'bolt-on' mods.

The lubrication section sounded like an ad for Blue Marble (which I use). I would prefer to see independent testing of Blue Marble rather than a re-hash of their advertising. (BTW, I did notice a 1-2 MPH increase in speed of my Ultra 150 after a few hours with Blue Marble).

+1
    I believe that Evinrude has already completed this. Which is now BRP..

There E-Tec motor is lighter ..has more HP and quite compared to a compared 4 stroke..

And burns cleaner... Would be a great conversion project.

Great motors with very little maintance and reliability.

I think 2005 was the first year not sure

+1
    ...which originally came from Fitche Fuel Injection

i didnt find this my dad did... he sent it to me because we are workign on converting my 650 engine to a fuel injected monster with o2 sensors... not quite as complicated as this but never the less... the power will be there thanks to and MSD with chips and fuelinjection + proper tuning.

havnt decided on which 650 to put it on.... my 650sx or conversion ski... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=91277&page=12

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinpolak View Post
    ...proven that a two stroke done right can provide almost twice as much power and with 2/3 as much pollution as a FOUR STROKE!...
    Interesting read, but not really news. The article was based on a 2003 BRP 2-stroke engine...

Note: Fuel injected into a 2-stroke engine before the intake reeds doesn't address the pollution and poor fuel economy caused by intake charge blow though.

Direct cylinder fuel injection greatly reduces unburned fuel flow into the exhaust, even when using tuned exhaust pipes.

My 2002 and 2004 Polaris PWC both carry California Low Emissions ratings, get rather good fuel economy for a 140HP ski, and are 'direct into the cylinder' fuel injected 2-stroke engines.

Polaris sold Ficht direct fuel injected 2-stroke PWC from 1999-2004, in 800cc twin and 1200 triple configurations.

The development of the next generation 'voice coil' Ficht fuel injectors took longer than Polaris/Evinrude expected, and the technology is now called E-Tec by BRP, who own the patents for this technology.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6230395b.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	534.6 KB 
ID:	152025  

Not to mention the disposal of the used oil from the 4 stroke....

emember that its not even about the fuel injection... a two strok can buy an MRD kit...

i have one but thats not how you are reducing emmissions you need to control how mcuha dn when to inject the fuel.... and yes its only in direct fuel injetion to the cylinder..

i knwo its not news.. just thought it was an interesting read... im doing something similar to a 650 i picked up a month ago.. replaced what ever stock parts with new boltons... sooo we will see what kind of dyno gains i can push out ..

will keep you all informed... i was going to put it on my conversion ski... but decided against it because of the space limitation... so its going on my 650sx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information