Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Are stepped hulls the future of skis?

Been hearing a lot of talk about these new Doo hulls. Sounds pretty promising. So the hulls are longer than a SHO hull, have the same engine as the X boats, with just a remap of the ECU, and they are capable of 74 or so with just the GPS limiter disabled? I tried combing through the Sea Poop section but I started to spontaneously combust and feared for my life.

I don't want this to be a pissing match. I just want to discuss the benefits of what they are introducing. Is a stepped hull going to be the future of our skis? Do you think Yamaha will jump on board, (maybe 5 years late as they always do)? Is the step in the new Doo hull even part of the wetted surface when running top end?
    Last edited by hitman; 09-27-2009 at 06:15 PM.

+1
    Step hull in boats have been around for a long time. I see no reason why in the future they wouldnt go that direction due the fact the hulls keep getting bigger and bigger......

I know I have takeing hte trimtabs off my GPR s before its like a step hull kinda They get very loose with out the trim tabs I dont reccomend it but I did gain 2 mph eveytime

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvnspeed View Post
    Step hull in boats have been around for a long time. I see no reason why in the future they wouldnt go that direction due the fact the hulls keep getting bigger and bigger......

I know I have takeing hte trimtabs off my GPR s before its like a step hull kinda They get very loose with out the trim tabs I dont reccomend it but I did gain 2 mph eveytime

Stepped hulls are very efficient for speed , it basically makes the ski hydrodynamically shorter. It is funny however that seadoo claims the IS s3 hull is the first pwc with a stepped hull when the 1994-1997 waveraider had a stepped hull. I believe there will be more models with stepped hulls but not necessarily every manufacturer. If you look at offshore racing, some believe in stepped hulls some do not see it as necessary to get the speed they desire.

+1
    Correct!
    Stepped hulls, including air-inducing hulls have been around for many years. Tigershark, Yamaha, Polaris, and even SD have had stepped hulls in many different models. Can't say I've seen one on a Kawi, but the Ulta250 has some type of air-trap at the rear lip.

I think they are just running out of cup holders to promote in the marketing department.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    exactly! as far as I know the raider was first, followed by a tigershark, then the gp1200, then the gpr. pretty sure kawi had one in there too. can't blame sd's marketing dept. for trying tho...

+1
    polaris had the MSX and Yamaha also had the XLT.

You "could" say the old XPL was a form of stepped hull with it's narrow-waist hull design.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    I think they are just running out of cup holders to promote in the marketing department.

+1
    we'll see if the hull really works by lb2cat time next year.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    polaris had the MSX and Yamaha also had the XLT.

You "could" say the old XPL was a form of stepped hull with it's narrow-waist hull design.

Yes exactly. The hyperbolic design had a similar hydrodynamic effect and it also had multi-angle deadrise. That hull is still so advanced today. If they are gonna make em bigger they should just make a bigger xpl hull.

+1
    Now see. I would support a larger hull based upon that.

The FZR, and Ultra are very close. They have almost identical turn-in characteristics as the XPL, but without the uber-control of the XPL. The rear end rises badly on those two, however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information