+1

Reeds for dummies.

Reeds......What are they? I thought it was a thick blade of grass you put between your thumbs and whistle with it! . I'v'e lost it. What do they do? Should they be included in a total rebuild? Are they worth the money to install? Any actual feelable improvement in the ski? Installation easy? Adjustable? What types are good for what? Do you have to recalibrate the carbs settings? Change jets? I'm clueless.lol VF2? VF3? which is better? can you install race ones or do they have to match the setup?

My daughter puts them in her saxophone, it sounds high performance to me!!!

+1
    Ya 7th grade band practice. i remember it well..reeds reeds reeds always breaking on the clairinet. Here. I just answered my own question.

THE ULTIMATE IN REED PERFORMANCE

• Quickest acceleration any reed can offer for that all important holeshot

• Easy starting and smoother idling for those dreaded no-wake zones

• Carries RPM further past peak allowing you to run a steeper pitched impeller for increased top end

• Crisper mid-range allowing you to pull that extra boat length

• Increased life over traditional carbon fiber reeds, so you don't have to worry about making it back to the dock.
    Q: What advantage do Pro Series Reeds

have over Power Reeds?
    A: Pro Series dual-stage reeds combine a carbon-fiber top reed with a fiberglass bottom reed for unrivaled performance. The Pro Series Reeds are more responsive than our traditional Power Reeds. The carbon-fiber top reed has excellent response characteristics that provide even quicker acceleration, stronger throttle response, and more over-rev than our standard Power Reeds. The fiberglass bottom reed provides stability and longer reed life.

PERFORMANCE
    Pro Series Reeds are designed with the racer and avid enthusiast in mind. They offer you the latest in carbon reed technology with all the advantages of Boyesen’s dual-stage design. A carbon fiber top reed is combined with a fiberglass bottom reed for unrivaled performance. The unique, carbon-fiber top reed provides superior response, allowing the reeds to respond quickly and accurately to changes in engine pressure. The fiberglass bottom reed provides durability for increased life over traditional carbon fiber reeds. Pro Series Reeds deliver the largest horsepower and torque gains any reed can offer. If you are serious about performance, than these are the reeds for you! Designed in the lab, tested on the dyno, and proven at the track to assure your satisfaction.

Thats all nice to know but EXACTLY how do they work? the air enters what and mixes with ? what and goes where to do what and then hit the ? then goes out. right? lol

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    They're a fast acting one-way valve. That's it, plain and simple.

Piston rises creating a vacuum. Pulls in air and fuel mixture, while opening the reed petals.

Piston starts down stroke, pressurizing the case and the reed valves snap shut. The air is then forced through the cylinder intake ports and into the combustion chamber.

Happens many times a second. That's why reeds are critical to performance.

Google "how a 2 stroke engine works" and it'll explain alot. Or check out the tech section, it's posted in there somewhere.

This is from Group K.

All of our 1050 kits utilize the stock reed cages and petals. There are many aftermarket replacement reeds that can offer improved performance...for a few operating hours. However after that, the material of these other petals can begin to "lose it’s memory" or begin to fracture. As this happens, the performance gradually becomes "less than the stock part". No aftermarket replacements (to date) have offered the combination of longevity and performance that the stock parts offer.

Check your reeds, if they have pieces broke off or have white lines in them replace them.

+1
    This is getting more interesting as it goes! hmmm stock ones I bet the carbon fiber ones keep memory well. And snap shut fast like whipping a brand new carbon fiber fishing pool. They are super sensitive. That would be great for throttle response. Any experience with stock over performance ones?

Thread Information