Thread: Trailer Wiring

Trailer Wiring

Ok, I've really gotten myself into a pickle. The 4 flat on my trailer was a bit bent internally therefore making it hard to plug in. I decided to change it. I bought a standard 4 flat plug from autozone and when I cut the old one off I noticed that instead of 4 wires it had 5 (not a 5 flat it was still 4 but someway one wire had been spliced and ran in with one of the other 4). Now I have no clue how to wire it back. I don't know which wire to splice in order to get my trailer lights to work etc.

Anyone have any idea how to wire this??

Can you posts pics?
    Maybe the common brown wire was split in 2 for the right and left parking /running lamps in the trailer light assy`s.

green and yellow = turn signal circuit
    brown = common parking/running lights
    white = trailer/vehicle ground.

Does you tow vehicle have a light control module?
    Is it a factory wired harness?...PR...

Yeah my toyota came with the factory tow package and a 4 flat connector. Basically I have a white, green, brown, and yellow wire all exposed now from the trailer. I need to wire them into the plug and I have tried hooking them all just straight up to the plugs white, green, brown and yellow and all i get is running lights. No brakes or turn signals...

Quote Originally Posted by badams7
    Yeah my toyota came with the factory tow package and a 4 flat connector. Basically I have a white, green, brown, and yellow wire all exposed now from the trailer. I need to wire them into the plug and I have tried hooking them all just straight up to the plugs white, green, brown and yellow and all i get is running lights. No brakes or turn signals...
    Do you have a test light to check the truck?
    either a fuse blew in the trucks circuit, or
    both rear lamps crapped out, or the trailer lights themselves aren`t grounded properly, or something shorted causing you these probs, what exacxtly happened, just decided to replace plug, or did the old one get mangled?...PR...

I tested the trailer plug in on the back of the truck and it works perfect. It is something with the trailer. The old plug in for the trailer got mangled and was getting difficult to plug into the truck... Thought it was a 5 minute little switch and kaboom. haha

Quote Originally Posted by badams7
    I tested the trailer plug in on the back of the truck and it works perfect. It is something with the trailer. The old plug in for the trailer got mangled and was getting difficult to plug into the truck... Thought it was a 5 minute little switch and kaboom. haha
    only thing you could do then is to prove the wiring/lamps in the trailer. Check where the white wire/ground comes from the trailer plug to trailer tongue or frame bolt...PR...

Would I have running lights though if the ground was the problem???

+1
    Way to go Billy.
    Now find me one that shows reverse lights. I think I am going to add that to my next trailer.

badams7: it all depends on if it`s feeding back thru another circuit...although the lights should be very dim if this were the case...PR...

BILLIE! Way to go!
    You DA` Man ...PR...

Thread Information