Exclamation anyone ever deal with a hull repair?

I'm currently in the process of painting my ski, and to my surprise it looks like someone has chipped a major piece off the front of my xp. I was wondering what would be a good way to fix this? Fiberglass? I mean i'm not sure but its about 3 and 1/2" wide but not very deep, it never went all the way thru. Oh yea, it looked they used bondo to fix, to me thats just wierd on a ski. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

it could be Marinetex that was used to repair it before, kind of a bondo for boats.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Marglass works good for repairing hulls.

You can get fiberglass mat at any boat store and just grind out the bad in a with enough area to get a good bond and build it back up to match the old contour and then cover with black gell coat or the color it was. Its not hard to do just takes time. Just make sure you wet out the cloth well and get all the air bubbles out. Wear gloves don't wash your hands and body with acetone as all your are doing is washing the chemicals through your skin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krazykid33 View Post
    I'm currently in the process of painting my ski, and to my surprise it looks like someone has chipped a major piece off the front of my xp. I was wondering what would be a good way to fix this? Fiberglass? I mean i'm not sure but its about 3 and 1/2" wide but not very deep, it never went all the way thru. Oh yea, it looked they used bondo to fix, to me thats just wierd on a ski. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    The best way to get help is to post pix of the damage. That way people who have done this sort of work will know what you've got. Bondo is not good to use on a ski because it absorbs water. Lots of people use it and say they don't have issues, but right is right, it's not for marine use.

What model XP? What paint do you plan to use? What is your experience level? How durable do you want it to be? How much use do you want to get out of it after painting? Etc, etc, ad nauseam....

well, it really wasnt that bad, i used the marglass, it seemed to do really well. It was just a chunk gone, wasnt busted thru or anything. I'm pretty good at auto body work, just hadnt done any on ski's. Didnt really know if they was anything special. Far as paint, not for sure if i'm goin to use gelcoat again or use awlgrip. Heard different things about awlgrip, just really havent made a choice yet.

+1
    After reading the Awlgrip literature, I think I'd go with gel-coat, especially for something as small as an XP. Surface prep is certainly a lot simpler, it's just a b1tch to get the orange-peel smooth.

Thread Information