Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Never Time To Ride antoniodef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan
    Posts
    1,169

    Tried a Riva grate

    I bought a Riva grate off a forum member here. I put it on and tried it out the other day. My RXP is mainly stock, I just pick up parts here and there and have done some free mods. All I can say is WOW! The grate is such an improvement over stock. I usually ride pretty hard around my lake. I take my younger brother and sister out a lot and they always tell me "please don't throw us off this time or mom won't let us go anymore". They have a good time though, and have never even came close to getting hurt.

    I noticed a vast improvement on staying hooked up while turning and running buoys. I picked a calm morning to go out, because I wanted to see if I would pick up any speed. I was a little disappointed in that department, I only saw a .6 improvement over my best run. Riva's speed claims on their parts are so overrated. The conditions were great that day. I could stay almost perfectly hooked up, superman across the entire lake. I had 2 bars of fuel. I only pulled a 69.8. The air was cool as well and I was turning 8060-8120. The improved handling was well worth it though. I am hoping with the rest of a stage 1 I can consistently run over 70. I was trying to break 70 that day jsut once, but this old guy in a power boat came out and was just doing circles around the lake tearing it up making it hard to stay hooked. I think his plan was to get me off. Once I loaded up he went home too. We were the only two out there so I wasn't bothering nobody . Once I can run 75 consistently I will be happy. I will pick up a few more parts over the winter and I plan on a bigger charger in a year, probably two, when I am due for a rebuild.


  2. #2
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    I am hoping with the rest of a stage 1 I can consistently run over 70.
    A cheap way to break 70 is to install the 4" kanaflex front air kit in the store. You'll break 70 easily and be ready for further mods with too much $$$ up front.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    ...I noticed a vast improvement on staying hooked up while turning and running buoys. I picked a calm morning to go out, because I wanted to see if I would pick up any speed. I was a little disappointed in that department, I only saw a .6 improvement over my best run. Riva's speed claims on their parts are so overrated. The conditions were great that day. I could stay almost perfectly hooked up, superman across the entire lake. I had 2 bars of fuel. I only pulled a 69.8. The air was cool as well and I was turning 8060-8120. The improved handling was well worth it though. I am hoping with the rest of a stage 1 I can consistently run over 70. I was trying to break 70 that day jsut once, but this old guy in a power boat came out and was just doing circles around the lake tearing it up making it hard to stay hooked. I think his plan was to get me off. Once I loaded up he went home too. We were the only two out there so I wasn't bothering nobody . Once I can run 75 consistently I will be happy. I will pick up a few more parts over the winter and I plan on a bigger charger in a year, probably two, when I am due for a rebuild.
    A grate isn't going to add speed....they are a drag. They will help you stay hooked up in rough...they will help load your prop....this help costs. Without the ponies to overcome the drag you'll need other handling or hull mods to overcome or balance out the drag. Chances are your minimal speed improvements would be attributed to the more favorable atmospheric conditions.

    If one boat can run you off the water....you need to find a bigger lake. If it was me...and I had the time.....I'd park my butt right in the middle of the lake....and watch him burn fuel. Then, when he burned off a coupla hundred bucks and put it on the lift....I'd spend the rest of the day running back and forth....a hundred feet off his dock....for the rest of the day.

    Like lafjax said.....improve your air intake and you'll see more speed...especially if you're then on the limiter because you can tweek that prop for a little more...get up and go.

  4. #4
    Never Time To Ride antoniodef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan
    Posts
    1,169
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. It isn't that the lake is small (it isn't huge by any means)...he was just set on getting me off. He would tail a 100ft back and to the side. There is one end of the lake that is very calm, kind of in a cove of sorts. For the same reason it is calm, it also can get chopped up easy. He had to come over and ruin that too. Cranky old man I guess, maybe we all be like that one day .

    I know I need the kanaflex, I just wanted a factory look under the seat without the risk of water ingestion on the rear air. I am seeing now that it would have been better (and cheaper than the 3") to go with the kanaflex. I can see how the increase was due to the weather. It was same lake conditions last time, but 80+ and humid. It is amazing how many RPM's you lose with the heat, I was done a lot from the first time to this time. This alse would be reduced by the kanaflex.

    I think I will try a wedge next, then maybe a closed loop rideplate by Jim.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    he was just set on getting me off. He would tail a 100ft back and to the side. There is one end of the lake that is very calm, kind of in a cove of sorts. For the same reason it is calm, it also can get chopped up easy. He had to come over and ruin that too. Cranky old man I guess, maybe we all be like that one day ...
    It sounds like he was tailing you like skis tail boats when they're waiting for wakes to jump. Call me a vindictive, petty sob.....that old man and I would see each other again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Got new riva grates
    By chris7613 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-06-2006, 04:40 PM
  2. Has anybody tried the Riva 2 degree wedge?
    By Pale Rider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
  3. Modded Riva grate?
    By 01xdime in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 03:44 PM
  4. Test results: Modified stock grate VS Riva grate
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 10:39 AM
  5. RIVA grate
    By holyfir in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •