Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller or Wear ring???

Just wanted some input on my 94 SL's. Is the impeller the sacraficial componenet or the wear ring? Has any one had any experiences with SBT's impeller refurbishing? SBT stated to me that they could get my stock impellers back to factory specs, including the outside diamater. Just wanting some feedback from others before i sent them 3 impellers.
    thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Someone else on here posted the results of an SBT impeller refurbish.

They were quite happy with the results, and the posted photos looked quite good.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    In theory it should be the wear ring since it's aluminum, and the impeller is SS.

Realistcally, the impeller gets dinged up, and the edges "burned" if contact is made.

So to answer your Q, both get damaged. It doesn't take much to get out of spec either. 20 thousandths is the wear limit, with 3-8 thou being the recommended service limit.

Someone was going to try the SBT impeller repair, but never heard anything about it.

I find it hard to believe that they will add material to the impeller, true it, and finish it properly for $25. I may be wrong though......

But, I doubt it.

Are you sure the wear ring is aluminum?? on both of my 94's they look like stainless steel. i could be wrong though, i only glanced at them for a moment. the main thing i am concerned with the SBT is the outside diameter. i measured the outside diameters of my impeller and they are about .058" less than 148mm. both of my wear rings look great except for a very mild blast rash from the impeller. there is no grooves or gouges in them. and another thing that raised the question for me was that the impeller is much cheaper to replace than the wear ring. i can't find a wear ring seperate from the pump housing, and that is about a $350 part.
    thanks for the input

+1
    94 didn't have the long pumps, so it was the wear ring that bolted directly to the hull. Positive it's aluminum.

Are you sure you don't have a 92 or 93 jet pump mounted? Those were 146mm. How about a pic?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    94 didn't have the long pumps, so it was the wear ring that bolted directly to the hull. Positive it's aluminum...
    Didn't some pumps/wear rings have a SS sleeve pressed into the aluminum base casting?

I have no info handy on what years or models came that way.

I think there were both SS and aluminum extension rings. Were the aluminum extension rings also SS sleeved?

no sorry i don't have any pics of my ski apart. they are together now. i am sure i have the stock pump on my jetski. it has the stock impeller, the stock wear ring, every thing is bone stock. my impeller part # is polaris 5131079 which is a stock 750 148mm impeller. my wear ring measures to 148mm. my stock impeller is way under stock measurements. 5.570" which converts to 146.558mm. if the stock measurements are a true 148mm, then my impeller is wore down .o58". which in turn gives me a wear ring to impeller clearance of .029" which is what i have. and if my wear ring is aluminum, then that is the hardest aluminum i have ever seen. cant even touch it with sand paper.
    thanks for all the input guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Didn't some pumps/wear rings have a SS sleeve pressed into the aluminum base casting?

I have no info handy on what years or models came that way.

I think there were both SS and aluminum extension rings. Were the aluminum extension rings also SS sleeved?
    I think the 146mm wear rings had a SS sleeve. I've yet to see the hull mounted wear ring sleeved.

You are correct about the extended pumps having both aluminum and SS wear rings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sl94 View Post
    and if my wear ring is aluminum, then that is the hardest aluminum i have ever seen. cant even touch it with sand paper.

I'd be curious to know now.....

mine dosen't really look sleeved that i remember, but i do know my impeller is what is wore out. i have three of them that are wore out beyond tolerence, and my main concern is whether or not SBT gets the impellers back to stock 148 mm size. i called them on the phone and they told me it would be right back to stock diameter. i just wanted to make sure before i spent alot of money sending three impellers to them and still being out of tolerence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information