Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

small problem and question

Ok I went for a long riding weekend cut short by rain and and a few problems with the ski

DAY 1- Cumberland river in Celina TN the ski started surging RPM`s if I held it at 5000 it would vary 2-300 RPM`s then I went WOT and it would surge at the top but my RPM`s were down to 7400-7600 I looked under the seat and the plastic hose that goes from the Riva intercooler to the throttle body had oil on it so I took the clamp off and put it back on but it still did not run right I was thinking maybe a plug was bad or the clutch is slipping I dont know what is going on so I redid the clamp again my RPM`s did get back up to around 7800 but still not good and it was still surging some not as bad. I thought I was in the perfect conditions outside air was in the upper 80`s but the water was 58 yes 58 I noticed my water lines had alot of moisture on them and I could hear my water box it sounded like water was leaking in, is the water temp the reason for my low performance is it a bad plug or do I still have a leak some where

Day 2- air upper 80`s water 80`s Dale Hollow lake RPMS up to 7800-7950 surging less but still there noticable below 6000 RPM`s speeds were 69.8 down a little Air/fuel 12.6 at WOT but 14`s around 5-6000 boost gauge was around 8 at 7800

so what do you gusy thing is it the cold water, plugs, leak, clutch or what for info I basically have a stage 2 with RR SC and steel washerswith less than 6 hours on them

sounds similar to the symptoms others had when the intercooler was leaking, maybe you can search for those threads

+1
    Ok I think I found the problem I will try to post a picture

The plastic pipe from SC to Intercooler melted at the SC side and has a V in the pipe I think this happened with less than 2 hours on the intercooler because when I first tested it it ran perfect 8100 @ 71 after riding around not going WOT I came back to my testing spot and my RPM`s were down to 7900 I did not think much about it then I went out the next weekend in what should have been perfect riding contions tempature wise but it was surging RPM`s and max was 7800

so today I was determined to redo all the connection and found the pipe deformend I just call RIVA and they said call back Monday as they dont have anyone that can help me today

They may make these plastic parts in the USA but these are the biggest piece of S---- I have seen why has someone at Riva not fixed this for what they charge THEY SHOULD NOT USE PLASTIC PIPES I can not belive that the stage 3 kit will not melt this pipe and why I should have to spend 100 for a metal pipe that the kit should have came with

I need help with this should I wait until Monday and talk to Riva as i need this fixed before Friday or spend the 100 on the metal pipe how fast can I get it

+1
    I hope this picture works

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riva pipe.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	7287

+1
    IMO Riva need to replace under warranty theres going to be alot un happy bunnies out there if they all are melting

Quote Originally Posted by Top banana
    IMO Riva need to replace under warranty theres going to be alot un happy bunnies out there if they all are melting
    Riva will not replace under warranty. That def looks like the clamp was overtightened. I`ve had the same experience, but a little dif.

If you read the instructions it says not to tighten the clamps to tight!

even though this was not the case in my particular mishap, I sucked up eel grass and clogged the IC and the heated air became hotter than the plastic could handle and woops! deformed tubes, it`s that quick!...

shhr: call Bubba at the tech line at Riva and explain to him what happened, There is a part number avail for this now!...PR...

+1
    Scott, that is due to overtightening the clamp. I have been guilty of that myself. However, if the pipe would have been metal to begin with that never would have happened.

Blaming this on overtighting is just an excuse for a manufacture to blame someone else for their mistake for making them out of plastic. I have metal tubes and if I don't use T-type clamps and tighten them way down it will blow the tubes right off the supercharger.

I agree that the tubes that Riva supplies should be aluminum.
    Although...Riva built these tubes to survive on their Stage II kit originally. Not with the higher PSI RR SC and "B" Kit SC wheels and associated higher heat in mind.

I wonder if they built the plastic tubes to just save them in manufacturing costs and/or to keep radiated heat down?

Higher pressure SC wheels will put out more heat. I wonder how their plastic pipes will hold up to their Stage III SC wheel and housing?

I think we will see Riva put out aluminum pipe kits out soon for reliability issues. Of course the consumer will pay the higher associated cost but it will be worth it.

+1
    Scott, i just dug thru my box of goodies and i came up with a brand new RIVA plastic pipe. If you want it i will ship it out to you Monday morning no charge.

PM me your shipping address.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information