Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nakimble View Post
    I'm almost certain it is low or doesn't have any. Would that cause an engine knock?

-Nick
    If it doesn't have any, it won't knock for long. If you even think it's that low you have to check it before you start it again.

I build Horsepower

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nakimble View Post
    So I bought a shop crane/engine hoist so that I can pull my jet skis off the trailer one at a time and do some refurb on the trailer's bunks. I also figured it might be nice to have a way to pull the engine out of the skis if I needed to.

That's what I been using for years. Even moved my machinery with it. Bridgeport,lathe,Tig welder,hones,presses,brakes etc. Works great.

Be sure to get you an engine stand too!

Shawn

Shawn, I like that cradle you made to utilize the motor mounts.

Engine knock

Spatera,

I'm sure it's an engine knock. It will happen even after hours of riding, but only when it's idling. I'm just not that mechanically savvy, so I'm going to take it to a dealer to have it looked at.

-Nick

The only reason I asked was mine and a lot of others have a drive train knock when idling. It's a dull sound that sounds like someone is doing a drum roll on the hull with some hard rubber rods. Not a very good description but thats what I meant by very distinct difference. I hope the dealer is an honest one that doesn't mislead you. Good luck with it and let us know.

Both of my 04 r12's have made the same noise around idle since I have had them... I believe what you are hearing is drive train noise probably coming from the coupler. My two cents.

What was the outcome on your ski??? I am very curious

+1
    Check the Oil Level, if you need a pdf copy of the owners manual let me know and I'll email you one. It will show you how to change the oil and check the oil. Backlash may need to be reset on the cam also I don't know how many hours you have on the ski, I think its recommended every 100hrs. Knocking inside a engine is NEVER a good thing.

Hi glockm22, i recently bought a 2007 aquatrax F-12x pwc with no owners manual. i came across this thread while searching for a manual online. Do you have a pdf manual for my model that you could e-mail to me? Much appreciated if you do. Btw great site you guys have here i'm sure i will be on here often now that i've found it.

Quote Originally Posted by spatera View Post
    The only reason I asked was mine and a lot of others have a drive train knock when idling. It's a dull sound that sounds like someone is doing a drum roll on the hull with some hard rubber rods. Not a very good description but thats what I meant by very distinct difference. I hope the dealer is an honest one that doesn't mislead you. Good luck with it and let us know.
    So I guess the question is whether or not this is "normal" and or "harmful" to the drivetrain. I ask because my '04 100 hr. Aquatrax does this also. It runs perfectly but sounds terrible with the "knocking" at idle. It's exactly as you described above so I am pretty certain we are talking about the same thing. If this is not harmful, I will just ignore it (although I hate it). If it is harmful, I will fix it. Where exactly does the noise come from? The rubber coupler? I have a hard time believing that Honda engineered it to be this way. The engine is very quiet and smooth, hard to believe they would "ruin" it with an intentionally loud/sloppy drivetrain. Having said that.....I had a CR-V once that had brakes that clunked loudly evertime you loaded them in an opposite direction (forward and then reverse for instance). Honda was aware of this and called it normal. I'm a pretty experienced home mechanic and I have never had a car with disc brakes clunk like this. Ridiculous to build the caliper/pad combination with that much slop in it! Anyway.....maybe this is similar? Just too much slop? Honda's solution to the CRV brakes????? Wad up some cardboard and stick it in between the caliper and pad as a temporary solution!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information