Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 98 GTX problems

+1

98 GTX problems

I was talking with Dan about this stuff and just undecided on what really maybe the cause of this problem. The ski when it was first built hauled ass on bottom and top end. The guy rode it for a few days then called me back and said that the coupler had melted. He brought the ski back and the mid pipe bolt broke and the bottom bolt came out. So the pipe was just banging around. The coupler from the pipe to the waterbox melted a hole in it. So I took the pipe back out, unsealed it, then set it back up correctly in the hull (PITA). Tightened down everything and put a new rubber coupling down by the pipe and waterbox. Went through the carbs and the filters were dirty again (he had bad fuel prior to all of this as well). The diaphrams didn't look at all that great so we scraped some crud off of it and put it to the light to see if we saw any holes, none. So put them back in, set the carbs back off and off he went to go test ride it. Ran great, shut it off and waited a while, started back up and the ski wouldn't get past 15 mph. It would just sit and bog, then after a while, the ski would just take off and get back up to speed. Sometimes you had to work the throttle to get it to get up to speed. I had a set of 97 1/2 gsxl carbs, I put the springs out of those carbs into that one thinking that newer springs may help with some of it. Still does the same thing. Dan and I were thinking it was either the rear exhaust hose (which feels really flimsy but they all do after a while) or its a fuel delivery problem. I did put an inline filter and am wondering if thats causing the problem. But I always ran one on my xpl so I don't see it being the cause. There is nothing stuck in the driveshaft or the impeller. Motor has excellent compression. Rave valves are clean and the valve down by the cases are clean. I may take the waterbox out and make sure he ain't got something stuck up in there or the baffle is broken. But anyone have any other ideas, I've tore into this ski several times trying to figure out whats wrong with it. I even pulled the fuel baffle out of the thing and checked that screen as well, put new fuel lines in it, etc. By the way, if anyone has a used 98 gtx fuel baffle, let me know how much and I'll see if the guy wants to get it. I replaced the float in it, worked for a few seconds and then quit again. Oh Dan did mention to check the check valve on the accelerator pump and make sure its squirting, so going to do that today as well.
    Thanks
    SHOOTER

+1
    maybe it's the water regulator. check that whole system for clogs and the pipe's 90* fittings for debris. I'd get rid of the inline filter. How did the carb's fuel pump round check valves look? toss in a new set.

TLR

+1
    TLR where the hell you been?
    I checked the hoses and fittings, they all are fine. I've always ran an inline filter, even on the xpl. But I used a different one this time around, so I switched it to the one I use to use on the xpl. What check valves are you talking about on the carbs? The accel pump one?
    Tell da wife I said HI
    SHOOTER

+1
    Bad gas

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Shooter, did you inspect the spark plugs to see if they are fouled?

+1
    Tim is talking about the little plastic discs that go in the fuel pump.

+1
    Robert, plugs were new. I took them out and looked at them, they still look good.
    Andy, I have no clue about that, but I did pull one of the needle and seats out and saw what you were talking about compared to the other oring on the spare needle and seat I had. It did swell up. I replaced it. I honestly think it may have been that first inline filter I had after I pulled it out. But won't know till I get it back on the water.
    Waiting on Dan to call me back so I can place some parts orders in and get what I need to finish up his carbs and get it back out on the water. Going to put another exhaust tube in as well. Along with that check valve for the valve solenoid.
    Robert you may know this, but the rave solenoid check valve that is in the back of the hull, your suppose to be able to blow through it and not suck through it correct? Reason being is I found water in the raves. I would assume it should be a one way check valve, but not certain.
    SHOOTER

+1
    yes the little round check valves/discs inside the fuel pump located on the frt carb, if those are frayed or damaged your fuel pressure will be poor, that long with the working inline check valve on the vent line of the fuel tank.

Interesting about the rear CV because the xpl doesn't have one, I even double checked on the microfische, and then sure enought no 98 or 99 xpl or gtx has a rave CV. it does show a fitting which looks like a CV but isn't. That line is just an open to the outside hull and allows the selinoid to vent gasses that it picks up thru the line from the crankcase, sort of a safety blow off valve

I can't imagine that small a line carrying water up to the raves in any amount but maybe?

TLR

+1
    so its not a check valve?
    SHOOTER

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hmm...I never heard of a check valve for the water injection line? I know there is a check valve for the RAVES, but that is located right on the case of the engine close to the pulse fitting. If you had water in the RAVES then the engine had to have been hydrolocked recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information