Speedometer replacement on rxtx

So i have an 08 rxtx and my speedometer broke off the metal rod, it was a plastic star shaped piece. I purchased a whole new speedometer for 100 bucks and he said just unsrew it pull the plugs out exchange them and put it back together. However this isnt the case, there are 3 plugs itself that comes off the main harness and they are color coordinated. You cant just pull it all out their isnt enough slack. So has anyone changed out one yet or suggestions?

+1
    Are you talking about the unit on the back of the ski?

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Are you talking about the unit on the back of the ski?
    Sounds like he is talking about the paddle wheel on the back. My guess was not careful when strapping down and cinched the strap across it and broke it.

yes the whole unit has to be replaced. I dont know how it broke, the ski is never beached and i am meticulous on how i take care of my stuff so i know i wasnt at fault. Maybe i had a bad apple, but the unit has a 3 ft wiring harness with 3 plugs at end. Has anyone changed one out yet?

+1
    This is how I did mine. Remove the unit from the back of the ski, you should have a little slack in the wires. Cut the wires and attach the new wires to the old ones that you just cut. Go inside the hull and pull the old wire, you will also be pulling the new wire in. Seperate the 3 plug connector. Take the old wire connector and pull the wires out (they will pull out). Insert the ends of new wires into the old connector, plug it in. Done on the inside. Put some silicone on the back of the new speed sensor and screw on to hull. Took me about 10 min to do mine.

Thread Information