Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

785 Not Starting

Okay guys, I got the 1010 running great this weekend but I was riding at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and suddenly the ski just dies and won't restart. There wasn't any loud pop or any jolts.

Where should I start? It cranks over great, not any hint of firing. The MFD doesn't show any RPMs when it cranks, just 0000, maybe a 0010 every once in a while. Could a bad MFD be doing this? Maybe sheared woodruff key? Bad stator? I douth there is spark since I was pumping the primer and I know it is getting fuel.

I'm not quite sure where to start here.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Pull a plug and insert it in the wire,lay it on the head,Crank it over,does it have spark? Run a compression check.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the Reset button on the electrical box. If it has popped up, something may have shorted, either inside the box, or in the hull wiring somewhere. Press it down to reset it, and see what happens.

Check the black ground wires, both the heavy one and the smaller one to the electrical box.

Unplug the MFD connector on the back of the MFD. If that doesn't help, plug it back in.

The stator could have gone. The RPM signal comes from the Yellow wire, which is also the battery charging coil.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Check battery volts while cranking. Check volts at the red/pur at the cdi to blk while cranking. Must have 10.5 volts while cranking or more to create spark.
    With no tach reading while cranking, you might want to ohm out the stator. The yellow wire supplies the ac voltage to the lr-31 for the voltage regulator to charge the battery. The yellow also supplies the mfd with the frequency while running to show the rpms. If the rpms are not displayed, the charging circuit may have a problem. Did the mfd display any faults?

+1
    i say bad stator if it starts again cold and dies after a few minute i would bet it's the stator

+1
    Thanks guys for all the quick replies! I checked for spark this morning before I had to come in for work and I'm not getting any. The circuit breaker wasn't tripped.

I will try unplugging the MFD, check cranking voltage, and ohm test the stator when I get home today and let you guys know. I have a feeling it is the stator that went out..or maybe the wiring? Last week when I was working on the boat, I cracked open the electrical box and there was some water inside so I left it open to dry out. I'm hoping maybe there is just some corrosion in there that can be cleaned off.

+1
    STATOR IS BUSTED! The red/purple to yellow wires don't have continuity as well as the red/white to green/red wires.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY HAVE ANOTHER STATOR!! I'm thinking this weekend is the LAST weekend I can really go out anymore. Let me know if you have a good stator for a 785!! Though I'm curious, will any other stator work??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    STATOR IS BUSTED! The red/purple to yellow wires don't have continuity as well as the red/white to green/red wires.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY HAVE ANOTHER STATOR!! I'm thinking this weekend is the LAST weekend I can really go out anymore. Let me know if you have a good stator for a 785!! Though I'm curious, will any other stator work??
    check with joe
    you can also use a 95, 750 or 95-96 780 but you need the flywheel with it if you go that route

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    check with joe
    you can also use a 95, 750 or 95-96 780 but you need the flywheel with it if you go that route
    Why the hell do these things just go out like that?? It was running fine for several hours until it just died while riding. I guess maybe corrosion? Physical damage?

I'll PM chopper to see if he has one. I'm kinda surprised you don't have one!

ALSO...I got the front cover off...one of the rivets on the flywheel is sheared off. Should I go on and replace the flywheel while I'm at it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    Why the hell do these things just go out like that?? It was running fine for several hours until it just died while riding. I guess maybe corrosion? Physical damage?

I'll PM chopper to see if he has one. I'm kinda surprised you don't have one!

i have one new one and maybe one used spare they are getting hard to find .time to get some of my bad ones redone .

ALSO...I got the front cover off...one of the rivets on the flywheel is sheared off. Should I go on and replace the flywheel while I'm at it?
    yes contact Randy i know he had a welded flywheel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information