Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

How do you test to see if the STATOR is working???

I have a possible issue with my stator in an '04 RXP.

I have already replaced the battery - so I know it isn't the battery. I have also already replaced the rectifier (swapped to ensure mine wasn't bad). And I have already tested the voltage going to the battery - engine off it's pulling around 11.5-12V - with the engine on hitting 3200rpms it should jump to over 13V - I am getting NO jump.

Stators usually don't go bad, so I am wondering what it might be...is there a specific way to test the stator - something that will tell without a doubt that THAT is the problem before I pull the motor to replace it??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderSmalley View Post
    I have a possible issue with my stator in an '04 RXP.

I have already replaced the battery - so I know it isn't the battery. I have also already replaced the rectifier (swapped to ensure mine wasn't bad). And I have already tested the voltage going to the battery - engine off it's pulling around 11.5-12V - with the engine on hitting 3200rpms it should jump to over 13V - I am getting NO jump.

Stators usually don't go bad, so I am wondering what it might be...is there a specific way to test the stator - something that will tell without a doubt that THAT is the problem before I pull the motor to replace it??

Thanks.

Check your fuse that located at the relay terminal, I believe it is a 30 AMP.
    If it is OK the you will need to check the stator [3] phase that should give you 24 VAC. You will problably need a wiring schematic so you will know which are the connectors

Quote Originally Posted by RXP305 View Post
    Check your fuse that located at the relay terminal, I believe it is a 30 AMP.
    If it is OK the you will need to check the stator [3] phase that should give you 24 VAC. You will problably need a wiring schematic so you will know which are the connectors
    Don't know what that is.

There are three windings in the stator. Each puts out voltage, called alternating current, that is changed to DC (direct current) that the ski uses by the rectifier/regulator.

There are three wires coming out of the stator. The three windings are connected in a triangle, so each of the wires coming out of the stator connects to two wires from the windings; one from one winding and one from it's neighbor.

Between any two wires, you should measure somewhere between 20 and 30 volts (using the AC setting on your voltmeter)when the engine is revved up. You need to make three checks for each of the windings; measure between wire 1& 2, 1 & 3, and 2& 3. If you do not get voltage out of all windings, then you either have a bad connection to the stator or the stator itself is toast.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    There are three windings in the stator. Each puts out voltage, called alternating current, that is changed to DC (direct current) that the ski uses by the rectifier/regulator.

There are three wires coming out of the stator. The three windings are connected in a triangle, so each of the wires coming out of the stator connects to two wires from the windings; one from one winding and one from it's neighbor.

Between any two wires, you should measure somewhere between 20 and 30 volts (using the AC setting on your voltmeter)when the engine is revved up. You need to make three checks for each of the windings; measure between wire 1& 2, 1 & 3, and 2& 3. If you do not get voltage out of all windings, then you either have a bad connection to the stator or the stator itself is toast.
    Good info! Welcome to the forum!

+1
    Paul, I tried to e-mail u the shop manual, but the file is too large. I looked it up last night, and the 3 yellow wires coming out of the PTO housing are for the stator.
    The manual says to set your meter on ohms, and like sea dood said check all 3 poles, but u can do this with out it running. U should see between .01 to 1.0 ohms between any 2 of the 3 poles. Test that way on all 3 poles, and if it is out of those specifications then the stator will need to be replaced.

+1
    To check DC output at the battery hook up your meter, and u must rev the motor to above 5500 rpms to see what u have.

+1
    Buy a Yamaha!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Buy a Yamaha!
    Why? Do you know how to check the stator on a yamaha? Jackass!

Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Buy a Yamaha!
    I know...I think what happened is that my ski was going so fast that I left my stator behind...so I need to bring it back up to speed again.

I wouldn't have that issue with a Yamaha - I would have a host of others...but going to fast ANYwhere wouldn't be one of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information