Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

got bit by the bug!

ok so im still waiting on the update kit for my sl1050! should be here tomarrow.. but im iching!! my folks gave me the sl650 and im iching to do some thing with it!!! some thing sweeet! the hull is not too bad of shape a could nicks here and there from beaching it... i used to ride the hell out of this 650 till it broke for the 3rd time and my folks didint want to put any more in to it and it sat for a year till i put it on my double a couple days ago.. motors shot and not worth fixing my buddy didnt put oil in to it and i think it spun a baring and the pistons are shot so i was just thinking about finding a BIGGER motor.. and i wanted to teach my self how to paint on it.. and if it turns out like crap.. well it was free!!!

if you guys got some cool ideas let me know!! this project might take me some time b/c (funds) need to go to my other sl and my pick up!! but any ideas would be great to put up on the drawing board!!

you could turn the 650 into a small kayak?

otherwise get a new engine for it or send it in for a rebuild. $500 - $800 would get the ski running again, then sell it for $1000-1200 and put that towards a sltx 1050.

just sayin...I wouldn't let a good project get away from me, but I am a busy body anyway.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What year is that SL 650?

Others have been in similar situations with 650s. Search and poke around the forum - lots of info here

+1
    to ten. the motors fffried so i was just going to get a newer motor i thought it would be a cool project to get her running again ( chance to teach my self stuff) and i was going to just use the body as a dummy for panting bc i want to paint my sl some time!! and if all else fails i got an extra paddal!! and k its a 94 ive had it in the fam since 00 i want to say! lol are first ski!!

just ideas to keep my hands moving in the winter!!

+1
    1994 will have the newer, modular jet pump, which is a good thing.

If you put a stronger motor in there, you will need to upgrade the impeller to match.

A Fuji 750 engine will drop right in.

A Fuji 780 engine will also fit, but you must also install the 780 exhaust pieces.

Depending on the model year of the donor engine, you may or may not need to update the CDI and/or magneto stator.

+1
    ok cool! my hole idea is to find a wrecked ski with a good motor to take evey thing out of and replace!! hmm how much more power does the 780 have over the 750!! another ? k how do you know so much!!! ahah you are like a book!!

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    780 doesn't have enough to justify the work imo. Get a 750 and let 'er rip. These guys will steer you right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    ...how much more power does the 780 have over the 750?...
    Have a look here;
    Polaris PWC related information

There is a spreadsheet listing every year and model, HP rating, etc.

Polaris PWC model details 1992-2004

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    650 had 68HP (44-45 MPH)

750 had 80HP (48 MPH)

780 had 92+HP (50-52 MPH)

Not really any more work to install a 780 VS 750 Rod.

The exhaust manifold is different, the flywheel and stator are different, (so is a 750 also) along with the jetting and impeller. Exhaust pipe uses a smaller 1mm orifice for cooling the exhaust pipe.

Don't think you'll be too happy with any of these combos if you have a 1050 already. Kind of a step backwards if you ask me.

Experiment with your painting skills, and seel any good parts you can. Take the $$ and put it towards the 1050.

You're gonna be over $1k so fast on the 650 project, it wouldn't be worth it IMO.

I have a 93 650, we could learn how to rebuild them together! I am in the midst of starting my rebuild project, had to buy some tools and materials, but it didn't really cost a lot overall vs. sending it in to have it done.

if it's truly beyond a rebuild/repair, then I agree with xlint and start paintin', it would be cheaper to buy a 750/780 that needs minor/manageable repair than to try and make the 650 hull fly I bet. I was seeing them all over craigslist sub-$1000.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information