Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Texting & Driving; more dangerous than drugs or alcohol

Somebody is finally proving what I've been saying all along...

Texting behind the wheel is more dangerous than driving while under the influence of alcohol or cannabis, researchers said Thursday.

Research carried out on young drivers (aged 17-24)
    using a simulator found that reaction time slowed by 35% when they were writing or reading text messages while driving. In comparison, reaction time deteriorated by 21% for those under the influence of cannabis, and by 12% at the legal alcohol limit.
    more here:
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    nice article

I admit, back when I was younger I didn't realize the serious potential hazards of texting while driving. Young people feel the need to respond to friends right away to keep in touch and be social. There is no reason why they can't wait until they have reached their destination to reply. I am glad all of this publicity is coming about this topic. I'm sure awareness is saving lives, but it could save so many more if people would listen and realize these facts.

+1
    Does the research say anything about if they are driving while on drugs or alcohol and texting, which is what most of the kids around here are doing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    nice article

I admit, back when I was younger I didn't realize the serious potential hazards of texting while driving. Young people feel the need to respond to friends right away to keep in touch and be social. There is no reason why they can't wait until they have reached their destination to reply. I am glad all of this publicity is coming about this topic. I'm sure awareness is saving lives, but it could save so many more if people would listen and realize these facts.
    Very true, I hear ya loud and clear.
    Our teenagers have been bugging me to keep this texting crap on our phones, but I'm dropping the texting off our next phone contract. If you want to communicate, call them. At least I can keep my eyes on the road when I'm talking on the phone!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Does the research say anything about if they are driving while on drugs or alcohol and texting, which is what most of the kids around here are doing
    I've been guilty of texting and driving. But its alot more dangerous then just talking on your phone. I text more on Black Berry than I call people now.

+1
    well there's a big DUH for you. At least if you're stoned and drunk, you're prolly trying to concentrate on the road even if you have double vision!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wetwolf View Post
    well there's a big DUH for you. At least if you're stoned and drunk, you're prolly trying to concentrate on the road even if you have double vision!
    Been there done that back in my wild teenage days! LOL

+1
    I can sure back up all this since being a truck driver I see these Fn morons day in and day out with there heads up there ass! They can't drive on a good day and then they want to play with there phone next to or around me go figure. Iam bound to run over one of these SORRY bastards one of these days! Truck drivers are just as guilty! You guys watch yourselves out there on the roads anymore because the def aren't safe anymore. I thank God at the end of everyday that I was allowed to survive to live and fight another one Amen!

+1
    True story:
    One of my customers came in 2 weeks ago, and said he almost got in an accident on the way to my office.

I asked him what happened, he says oh, I noticed this vehicle in the lane to my left and behind me a little was sorta drifting into my lane... not a lot, just a little, then all of the sudden the car just comes way over the line into my lane and almost hits me in the back fender, so I blow the horn and swerve... at that point the guy moves up a little and waves at me, and I can see it's a cop in an unmarked car who was texting, he's waving the phone at me and smiling...

+1
    Hey yo that's another problem all on it's own! The lack of the law out here on the roads is terrible anymore since the wars started. I may drive all day thru three states and see one maybe no law that's not good! Then the quality of the cops well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information