+1

Are there cracks reported in the Rxt models?only heard of Rxt-x.

Just wondering, never heard any issues on the moded rxt models,only with the T-x models.
    What's the reason for that?

+1
    I have both, the RXT no problems, the RXTX has been at the dealer since July getting the tunnel repaired. The RXTX is 65 lbs lighter than the RXT many have speculated that the weight loss came from the hull I would not argue.

+1
    richrxp:

Any ski can get small stress cracks, spider cracks, etc...
    but I think what you are talking about is the pump tunnel cracks, which are
    far more serious...

I can tell you the basic RXT has an excellent hull, you will very rarely see any problems reported with them... (over 300 hours on ours).

Starting in 2008 however some members have been claiming that their RXT-X has thinner material in the pump area; the exact relationship of this to certain modifications (or no mods) is not clear, but there are some GH members are saying this is a stock problem with the manufacturing. Whether or not this is only a select batch of units or across the entire T-X line is not clear, but there have been some failures and BRP dealers do seem to be more aware of it now and they are repairing some, there are also DIY threads here about adding preventative reinforcement to the pump tunnel area. This has also been a problem reported by some GH members on the new Yamaha SHO models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I have both, the RXT no problems, the RXTX has been at the dealer since July getting the tunnel repaired. The RXTX is 65 lbs lighter than the RXT many have speculated that the weight loss came from the hull I would not argue.
    This could be the reason,because i never heard of a rxt with pumptunnel cracks or leaks.
    Could be the due to the lighter hull,my rxt-x is still ok ,check the tunnel after every ride,but i'm still worried

+1
    Yoyamma,

I know all this,the fact is the rxt seems to have a better hull,never heard of any leaking pumptunnels.
    You'r right on the Sho's heard reports of the pumptunnel failure also,i would like to see the percentage on failure'son the t-x's because seems to me there are more without leaking tunnels ,then there are with the wellknown failures.
    Still i'm worried abourt my T-x,for now i'm stage 1,but thinking of upgrading to stage 3 ,but i'm worried my pumptunnel can't take the extra power.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    richrxp:

Any ski can get small stress cracks, spider cracks, etc...
    but I think what you are talking about is the pump tunnel cracks, which are
    far more serious...

I can tell you the basic RXT has an excellent hull, you will very rarely see any problems reported with them... (over 300 hours on ours).

Starting in 2008 however some members have been claiming that their RXT-X has thinner material in the pump area; the exact relationship of this to certain modifications (or no mods) is not clear, but there are some GH members are saying this is a stock problem with the manufacturing. Whether or not this is only a select batch of units or across the entire T-X line is not clear, but there have been some failures and BRP dealers do seem to be more aware of it now and they are repairing some, there are also DIY threads here about adding preventative reinforcement to the pump tunnel area. This has also been a problem reported by some GH members on the new Yamaha SHO models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by richrxp View Post
    Yoyamma,

You'r right on the Sho's heard reports of the pumptunnel failure also,i would like to see the percentage on failure'son the t-x's because seems to me there are more without leaking tunnels then there are with the wellknown failures.
    Of course there are; it's just like the delaminating hulls; out of thousands sold there is a small percentage reporting these problems, but let's face it, if they were ALL bad then we would probably hear a lot more about it here on the forum... that's why I was saying this might be only a select batch of units... I have one RXT that has lost all of it's letters off the matt on the back deck, and the matt on the right footwell is coming off too. Matts on the other RXT are perfect. That tells me there can be problems from one manufacturing date to the next; in my case there was a bad batch of glue or maybe the operator was drinking...

Still i'm worried about my T-x,for now i'm stage 1,but thinking of upgrading to stage 3 ,but i'm worried my pumptunnel can't take the extra power.
    Well why not go ahead and reinforce it yourself?
    Like I said there are DIY threads here on how to do this...

+1

Exclamation T-X tunnel weakness

Just wondering, never heard any issues on the moded rxt models,only with the T-x models.
    What's the reason for that?
    The reason is, the 2008 T-X hull is about 85 lbs lighter. Just look at the area INSIDE the ski all around the tunnel - the GTX / RXT area is significantly more beefed up and bulky with fiberglass. The inside T-X tunnel area is very small in size - it's also is double layered. There is a inside section layer, then a foam dead space area, then the outside water side of the hull. The sides of the water side of this tunnel is very weak with poor reinforcement, thin layered fiberglass. This is what gets spider stress cracks and will split open with time.

I only had 5 hours on a brand new stock ski when mine failed. I've counted over 25 Hulk members with T-X's with this problem over the last 12 months!! Most just with minor mods and a few approaching stage 2 mods. My brother in law has 2 identical T-X's with NO problems, go figure!

Bottom line - if you own a T-X, take a die-grider and cut off the top of the tunnel - give it a lobotomy... pull out the foam on top and the sides.. fill it with West Systems epoxy and resin... then lay down several layers of fiberglass or carbon fiber on top and all around the tunnel area - especially the sides down to the floor! Now you'll have one SOLID beefed up tunnel. If the water side starts to get stress cracks - your too late and now you'll have to repair the water side also - much ass pain and $$$$. See the "How To" section.

Others have proven that just adding some carbon fiber to the inside WITHOUT pulling the inner layer of foam out and reinforcing the inner layer with resin and epoxy is a waste of time and money.

Your RXT should be bullit proof!

+1
    Your wright about the tunnel,this is gonna be a nice project for the wintertime,how deep goes the grinder in?
    I must be carefull cutting the outer layer otherwise i will destroy the whole tunnel.
    I must be carefull while doing this.
    No stress cracks so far.
    Thanks for all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    The reason is, the 2008 T-X hull is about 85 lbs lighter. Just look at the area INSIDE the ski all around the tunnel - the GTX / RXT area is significantly more beefed up and bulky with fiberglass. The inside T-X tunnel area is very small in size - it's also is double layered. There is a inside section layer, then a foam dead space area, then the outside water side of the hull. The sides of the water side of this tunnel is very weak with poor reinforcement, thin layered fiberglass. This is what gets spider stress cracks and will split open with time.

I only had 5 hours on a brand new stock ski when mine failed. I've counted over 25 Hulk members with T-X's with this problem over the last 12 months!! Most just with minor mods and a few approaching stage 2 mods. My brother in law has 2 identical T-X's with NO problems, go figure!

Bottom line - if you own a T-X, take a die-grider and cut off the top of the tunnel - give it a lobotomy... pull out the foam on top and the sides.. fill it with West Systems epoxy and resin... then lay down several layers of fiberglass or carbon fiber on top and all around the tunnel area - especially the sides down to the floor! Now you'll have one SOLID beefed up tunnel. If the water side starts to get stress cracks - your too late and now you'll have to repair the water side also - much ass pain and $$$$. See the "How To" section.

Others have proven that just adding some carbon fiber to the inside WITHOUT pulling the inner layer of foam out and reinforcing the inner layer with resin and epoxy is a waste of time and money.

Your RXT should be bullit proof!

+1
    I totally agree with you,they can't be all bad,might be a select batch like you mentioned.
    Still the tunnel is weaker then the older rxt's,so i will do what you suggested ,and reinforce it over the winter.
    Just to be on the safe side i will make my tunnel bulletproof.
    Thanks for all answers and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Of course there are; it's just like the delaminating hulls; out of thousands sold there is a small percentage reporting these problems, but let's face it, if they were ALL bad then we would probably hear a lot more about it here on the forum... that's why I was saying this might be only a select batch of units... I have one RXT that has lost all of it's letters off the matt on the back deck, and the matt on the right footwell is coming off too. Matts on the other RXT are perfect. That tells me there can be problems from one manufacturing date to the next; in my case there was a bad batch of glue or maybe the operator was drinking...

Well why not go ahead and reinforce it yourself?
    Like I said there are DIY threads here on how to do this...

RECON Truck Accessories - Get Lit www.GoRECON.com
    Mine's showing stress cracks as well in the tunnel & it's only got 20 hrs on it & is bone stock. I'm going to have it reinforced properly at a reputable fiberglass shop down here in South FL. Anyone know who's capable of such a job down here on Florida's SE Coast?

Thread Information